• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Decided I'm not ready to grind my own mirror - going to salvage a scope instead! Advice appreciated! :)

Guest AllyMcD97

Guest AllyMcD97

Hi everyone!

If you saw my introduction a few weeks back, you'd know that I was planning on building my own dob scope, for both a school project and personal use! 

I'd acquired a 14 inch plate glass blank, and was naïvely planning on jumping in headfirst and grinding it and expecting to end up with a telescope with no worries!

Now I've looked more into the process, I've realised that on the timescale I have (about 3 months), it's not realistic. I'm now thinking of salvaging an old scope and totally rebuilding it (minus the mirrors). My first question is this - is this something that you think I'd be able to achieve? I've set aside a little stash for things I'll need to buy etc, but I could do with perhaps a good book, or internet guides, on what needs doing! 

Secondly, finding myself an old dob to salvage! I've realised that my original intention of a 14 inch scope is probably far too big for my first telescope anyway, so what size is nice for a beginner scope? 8 inch? 10 inch? Either way, where can I find one of these? :P Are there any good marketplaces online for unwanted astro goodies? Or does anyone reading this happen to have something? :P I'm looking to keep the cost down to a minimum (I'm an 18 year old a-level student, I'm not exactly swimming in it!), so about what price range can I expect to be looking at for something I can work with? 

Rather long post there, and in my tired state, I can't be sure that it reads coherently! So I apologise in advance,

All replies greatly appreciated!

Thanks, Ally

What's your budget Ally? Salvaging an old dob is a good idea - certainly better than starting off by grinding and figuring a 14". You can get very acceptable dobs brand new nowadays - an 8" will set you back £300 and a 10" just over £400. Or you'll easily find them second hand around 2/3rds of the new price. Check out UK Astro Buy Sell website for bargains. Or google "building a dob by John Dobson".

But it does depend on how much you want to spend as to which way you'll go..... :)

Edited by Brantuk

Guest AllyMcD97
Just now, Brantuk said:

What's your budget Ally? Salvaging an old dob is a good idea - certainly better than starting off by grinding and figuring a 14". You can get very acceptable dobs brand new nowadays - an 8" will set you back £300 and a 10" just over £400. Or you'll easily find them second hand around 2/3rds of the new price. Check out UK Astro Buy Sell website for bargains.

But it does depend on how much you want to spend as to which way you'll go..... :)

Hi! 

With a bit of saving, I guess up to 2/300 would be alright for me! I'm perfectly happy with second hand, I'm not fussy! :P As long as it's in working condition, cool with me!

Also, whilst I remember to ask... Where abouts would I go about selling a 14 inch blank? It's scratched and has a few little chips on one of the sides (other side's alright, I could provide images tomorrow), but I think overall it's in decent condition! Would that website be alright for that? How much should I ask?

Guest AllyMcD97
1 minute ago, Tweedledee said:

Here's one...

http://www.astrobuysell.com/uk/propview.php?view=105188

It needs a finder but you can pick one up cheap.

Don't think your blank would be worth much, but you could advertise it on the Astrobuysell site above.

Oh fantastic, thank you! I was looking on the website, but it wasn't very easy on my beginner eyes and I didn't find much! Thanks :D

It looks like a good buy and will show you a lot of stuff, is inside your budget and not too far away. You would need to pick it up.

Yup - that link from Pete looks like just what you're after. And it's not far - just over in Grantham. Good find Pete. :)

Guest AllyMcD97
2 hours ago, Graham said:

PM sent about your blank

Hi Graham! 

I've searched and searched, but I can't find my PM's! Any tips? :P

Thanks

Graham / Ally,

Ally has less than 10 posts so the PM facility is not available, as per the below screen shot....

F43DA96B-0A5E-4BBA-B865-EB3868378AB4.png

Guest AllyMcD97
16 minutes ago, Daz Type-R said:

Ah Graham / Ally,

Ally has less than 10 posts so the PM facility is not available, as per the below screen shot....

F43DA96B-0A5E-4BBA-B865-EB3868378AB4.png

Ah well, that explains it! 

Not to worry, I'm well on track to smash that 10 post barrier, won't be long :P

Thanks