• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

New telescope

Guest Stu

Hi All 

i am thinking of buying my first telescope 

and I am interested in the Bresser Messier range .

I am looking at the AR-152S/760 EXO2 

Any help on this scope would be appreciated 

Stu

It's a nice achro with a good spec - I've often fancied the OTA only but it might be a bit ott as I already have a 100mm Tal. RVO has the best price I've seen so far at £674 including the mount and tripod. I'd like to see how much CA the scope exhibits at 6" diameter - but it's great light gathering power for a frac. I only had a brief look through one a few years ago and remember being very impressed. I think Philjay had or has one so watch for his comments. Hth :)

(Just found it for £645 at The Astronomy Center - but I never used them so can't comment on service)

Edited by Brantuk

Hi Stu welcome to EMS.

I have had the Bresser Messier AR152S in the past and it's one heavy scope. It needs a pretty decent mount to carry it.

It's a good scope, with a nice large focuser. It does suffer CA so would benefit from a filter to stop that.

It excels at deep space observing and from a dark site you can see almost all the galaxies. I never used to like the view of Lunar and planets through it due

to the purple fringing it had the moons limb etc.

But for the price it's a great scope.

Thank you Gents

if i purchase this scope with the mount 

what else would you recommend to go with it ?

or would you recommend something else 

as its my first telescope and want to make sure I get a decent one .Also one that will last me 

i live in the country and have access to dark areas 

also have wonderful sky when clear from the back garden 

My budget is roughly £700

thanks

Stu

I seem to remember we used a fringe killer on the one I looked through - which virtually eliminated the yellowish fringing we had on the moon. So you may go for one of those for a starter accessory. Also - get warmly togged up - it can get very cold overnight. I'm sure others will have loads of suggestions too. :)

Oh and if you don't have it already - Stellarium is a great free download :)

Edited by Brantuk

Thank you for your reply 

Yes any help/advice would be fantastic 

Where is the best place to look for Fringe killer.

Ill look into getting Stellarium

Stu

There's a good discussion of fringe killers and mention of one or two different ones here:

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/146752-baader-fringe-killer/

And this is the sort of place to get one (but check the focal length of the scope is a good match before buying):

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/achromat-semi-apo-filters/baader-fringe-killer-filter.html

First Light Optics are top notch on pre and post sales service - it's run by astronomers and I've used them many many times as have most of us. :)

Forgive me if its a silly question 

Do I need the fringe killer for close ups of moon etc ?

As I'm new to this and all help however small is appreciated 

It's not for close ups - the scope and eyepiece combination will sort that out for you. The filter is to remove the glow surrounding the moon caused by the natural aberration of a large objective lens. This is because the glass has a ground concave bend causing the aberration. The larger a piece of glass gets the more it is bent and the more the chromatic aberration you see - which is why many refractors have smaller objective lenses. It would cost a heck of a lot to fully correct a 6" diameter lense.

If you look at a full moon with an average set of binoculars you will sometimes see a yellow or purple'ish tinge surrounding it (i.e. around the fringe of the moons limb - or edge). You get this tinge with scopes too - the fringe killer will reduce or remove the colour tinge. :)

Also - you don't need to feel awkward asking questions - we were all there once as beginners asking the same stuff - the only silly question is the one you don't ask. :)

Edited by Brantuk

You will see the colour fringing of chromatic aberration around brighter objects, mainly bright stars, planets and the moon. It won't be a problem on fainter stars and deep sky objects. Some people are more bothered by it than others.

Thank you both 

I was thinking

would another telescope suit or do I get the extra eyepiece and filter (If someone can tell me exactly which ones to purchase)

I have a budget of around £700 

want to make sure I buy wisely!

although I do like the Bresser :)

If you are unsure, you really need to get yourself to a meet and have a look through other peoples telescopes. £700 is a lot to gamble with.

You could get something larger yet possibly more easily portable, like a new SkyWatcher 200p dob, with a good range of eyepieces and accessories for less money. The secondhand market is always good for bargains as telescopes have usually been well looked after.

Thinking about it Use would be moon/planets/galaxies also astrophotography in the future 

Yes i would like the bresser 

Just need clarification on eyepiece/filter

It makes the view a more pleasant experience.

Some people do not mind the yellow fringing on the moon and planets. It all depends how picky you are. For deep space stuff the scope is very good.

The William Optics UWAN range of eyepieces are excellent, but they are quite expensive and there are now quite a few eyepieces that are as good and even better.

There are so many good eyepieces, some will suit your eyes, some will not.

You need to read up on this Stu. There is lots of info to take in such as eye relief, magnification, Field of view etc.

Best thing to do is put another post up and ask advice about eyepiece ranges.

You will get lots of replies.

Thanks Doc

Im going to buy the Bresser with a filter and see how i go..

Thank you everybody for your help but i think i already made my mind up 

Just checking really i wasn't buying a lemon..

Hi Stu, Sorry I am a bit late to this one, I have the Meade AR 127, which is the 5" version and probably made in the same factory as the Bresser. I find it performs very well and I don't get too distracted by the CA. This is more apparent in some eyepieces than others, but then I don't have expensive ones.

I get very good views of the Planets and the Moon through this, but you will need to have a look at investing in some dew control. The front lens and the eyepiece can fog up real quick on a damp night. This doesn't have to break the bank, I use a twin channel controller, which can be picked up second hand for thirty or so pounds, you will then need a dew band for the front end and eyepiece, that keeps me going for most of the night.

You will need a reasonable battery to run this and the mount, if the voltage drops, some mounts get twitchy and start to play up. When they start pointing in the wrong direction, it's usually a case of the battery getting below 12V rather than anything wrong with the mount.

If you are on a fixed budget, maybe consider a 5", that way you won't need such a big mount and will have a few extra Bob to get accessories with. 

HTH.

Thanks for that 

After sleeping on it I think I'll hang fire ...

I'm going to join a club first and get some advice rather than jump in and regret it.

I found there is one local to me with a meeting on 8th of jan

I didn't realise extras stupidly thought you bought a telescope and that was it...

9 hours ago, Stu said:

Thanks for that 

After sleeping on it I think I'll hang fire ...

I'm going to join a club first and get some advice rather than jump in and regret it.

I found there is one local to me with a meeting on 8th of jan

I didn't realise extras stupidly thought you bought a telescope and that was it...

You'll make the right decision in the end. In the meantime you can ask any questions on this forum :2thumbsup:

Sure the star's  ain't going anywhere , I think i can wait a couple of weeks.......T

Edited by Stu
spelling mistake