• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Advice on Lyrid Meteor Shower

Guest Freya

Guest Freya

Hi

I understand the best time to watch the Lyrid Meteor shower will be the evening of 21st April. (Is that correct?)

I wondered if anyone knew some great places I might go and watch this from close to where I live in Stamford Lincolnshire - I'm on a tight diesel budget. I'm new to this area so don't really know where to go for a good view of this! I did think of going to Burrough Hill Iron Age Fortress if anyone knows of that?!

I've walked the dog there and it's a big hill but still quite accessible for me - I will have a toddler in a pushchair (hopefully asleep!) It looks like it would be very dark at night but have only been in the day.

Any ideas greatly appreciated!

Freya

Vega marks radiant point of April’s Lyrid meteor shower

10apr20_430.jpg

The 2012 Lyrid meteor shower is now picking up steam under the darkness of the new moon. A dark sky is best for meteor showers, and in 2012, there is no moonlight to spoil the show. What’s more, the 2012 Lyrid shower should be at its best during the weekend, in the wee hours before dawn.

EarthSky’s meteor shower guide for 2012

This shower will probably rain down the most meteors in the dark hours before dawn on Sunday, April 22. However, meteor showers have an element of unpredictability to them, so you might want to watch between midnight and dawn on Saturday, April 21, as well. On any clear night this weekend, the Lyrids start off at late evening, but the meteor numbers tend to pick up after midnight and to be the greatest in the dark hour before dawn. Give the shower a try. It’s generally a fairly modest shower, perhaps offering 10 to 15 meteors per hour.

If you trace the paths of these meteors backward on the sky’s dome, you’ll find that they appear to originate from a point in the sky near the the star Vega, the heavens’ 5th brightest star. This is the shower’s radiant point. The radiant point for the Lyrid shower sits just to the right of Vega, which is the brightest star in the constellation Lyra the Harp. It’s from Vega’s constellation Lyra that the Lyrid meteor shower takes its name.

You don’t need to identify Vega in order to watch the Lyrid meteor shower. The idea that you must recognize a meteor shower’s radiant point in order to see any meteors is completely false. Any meteors visible in a moonless sky will appear unexpectedly, in any and all parts of the sky.

Why between midnight and dawn? It’s because that’s when the star Vega – and the shower’s radiant point – is above your horizon. Vega rises above your local horizon – in the northeast – around 9 to 10 p.m. It climbs upward through the night. The higher Vega climbs into the sky, the more meteors that you are likely to see. By midnight, Vega is high enough in the sky that meteors radiating from her direction streak across your sky. Just before dawn, Vega and the radiant point shine high overhead. That’s one reason the meteors will be numerous then.

So why near Vega? Why do the meteors radiate from this part of the sky? The radiant point of a meteor shower marks the direction in space – as viewed from Earth – where Earth’s orbit intersects the orbit of a comet. In the case of the Lyrids, the comet is Comet Thatcher. This comet is considered the “parent†of the Lyrid meteors. Like all comets, it is a fragile icy body that litters its orbit with debris. When the bits of debris enter Earth’s atmosphere, they spread out a bit before they grow hot enough (due to friction with the air) to be seen. So meteors in annual showers are typically seen over a wide area centered on the radiant, but not precisely at the radiant.

How high up are meteors when they begin to glow?

Could Earth collide with a comet that causes a meteor shower?

In a good year, you’ll see perhaps 15 meteors per hour in a dark, moonless sky. That’s in contrast to the year’s best showers – the Perseids of August and Geminids of December – both of which typically produce about 60 meteors per hour.

Still, the April Lyrids can surprise you. They’re known to have outburts of several times the usual number – perhaps up to 60 an hour or so – on rare occasions. Meteor outburts are not predictable. So – like a fisherman – you must take your lawn chair, a thermos of something to drink, whatever other gear you feel you need – and wait. You’ll be reclining outside in a dark location, breathing in the night air and gazing up at the starry heavens. Not a bad gig.

Just remember .. the new moon makes 2012 a favorable year for Lyrid meteor shower. Lie down on a reclining lawn chair in a dark spot away from pesky city lights, enjoying the brilliant star Vega and the Lyrid meteor shower!

As for where to go, because there is no moon, you will proberbly be okay from your back garden as long as there is no glareingly bright light nearby.

Edited by Daz type-r

The Fortress looks like an ideal local place - you'll have the light glow from Leicester but at least there's a hill or two in between and the Borough area is plenty dark enough to see the shower. However I'd be more concerned about your safety up there on your own with a child in a push chair. And it does get very cold at night time too. Maybe you have some friends who could go with you?

But for watching meteor showers it's usually a good idea to take a pair of binoculars with you and a reclining chair or camp bed / sun bed and a warm blanket or sleeping bag. We do this all night at star parties sometimes and it's lots of fun finding constellations and objects whilst meteor watching. I'd offer to get up a small crowd and join you but it's a work night so out of the question for me really. :)

Guest Freya

Hi Thank you for your replies much appreciated.

Yes it would be pretty spooky up there with just my little girl and myself! I have invited a friend to join us so hopefully will have some company!

I'm pretty outdoorsy so I've a good idea what to take gear wise - I've got camping gear including chairs and definitely some hot drinks too!

I will think about who I can "borrow" some binoculars from! I might try the Freecycle network!

Thanks again for your replies!

Freya

The East Lincs Astronomy Club is meeting at Gibralter Point NNR nr Skegness that night, a dark site and quite a few EMS members going, if you're interested? Not sure where you live though?