• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Obligatory M42

PolygonPi

Nice one Andy, think there is a bit more there for you to bring out. keep playing with it! :)

Cheers

Ron

Very nice :) If you use a gradient removal tool, you can get a little more equilibrium across the background [emoji106]?

I really like that, fantastic stuff.  Congrats on the new addition, my son has a messier chart and solar system poster up and he's only 5 :) 

Nice one Andy, thought you had been a bit quiet lately! ?

You should get some free time when Freya goes to college! ☺️

Congratulations on the new addition ?

Cheers all. Yes sorry, been a bit preoccupied lately :) And the fact it's been cloudy for the last month didn't really help...

Think I need to upgrade to using Photoshop. I'm being cheap and using GIMP at the moment (pre-release version that has 16-bit colour support) which works well enough but there's no decent gradient removal plugin. I shall give it a go at some point.

I found this tool that will remove background gradients. Load in your image, move the points to a nice spread over the background of your image and job done.

http://micro.magnet.fsu.edu/primer/digitalimaging/backgrounddownload.html

Personally, if you are going to spend money on tools for astro, I'd get a copy of Pixinsight for the proper astro image tools and use GIMP to tidy anything up on a pixel level.

Hope you don't mind, here are the results from that tool.

h7ryxw51tfi8daggyn5jsunnmathnpsr.png

• Like 2

Ah, excellent, that works a treat! Cheers for the find. I'll have a play around and see how I get on.

I had another go at pulling out a little bit more detail and using the background removal tool. I'm calling it done for now, or else I'll be endlessly fiddling with it. I'm sure I'll try again with new data if and when I upgrade my kit...

M42_1200px.jpg