• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

must haves

Guest Anthony

Guest Anthony

Hey everyone, so for Christmas I'm getting the 6" skywatcher dob!

So I have been searching far and wide on the Web for must have additions to the telescope for stargazing. So far I have decided to grab a pair of 10x50 binos, a 2x Barlow, the book "turn left at orion" and a red light torch.

So my question is, what bits of gear do you feel are must haves to better your nights out :)

Cheers, Ant

Oh and a pocket atlas :)

Hi Anthony - this time of year boot warmers and finger less gloves are indispensible (alongside warm clothing in multi layers). I would also suggest for a 6" dob a right angled finder is a very useful addition to save your back - and an adjustable stool or seat to make observing more comfortable. Other folks will have some good suggestions too. Congrats on your new scope. :)

My latest addition, and one I wish I'd of got a long time ago, is an observing (ironing) chair. Makes observing so much easier and saves your back.

That is a nice scope to start off with :2thumbsup:

As per Kim above, I think that a 50mm right angle correct image finder will help you find stuff much more easily than the tiny 6x30 one supplied. Adding a heavier finder may require a bit of tube balancing, but that would be a very simple task.

Replacing the supplied eyepieces with better quality ones will help you get the most out of your observing.

Must haves can be never ending if you really get hooked on the hobby, but if you do, then the next must have would probably be a bigger scope :)

I think you would be very happy with a copy of "The Sky And Telescope Pocket Star Atlas". You are going to need to find your way round and this is a reasonably priced atlas that has plasticised pages, so they don't get soggy. It also has a good amount of information in it, it's very detailed for the price. Mine's battered now, but still going well.

http://www.bookdepository.com/book/9781931559317?redirected=true&selectCurrency=GBP&w=AFC7AU9601VHXZA8Z94M&gclid=CKXxx7ul3MkCFQQcwwodOcYFmg

I'd scrub the camera, if he has gone for a dob, Astro photography is not on his mind (correct me if I'm wrong Anthony).

Your profile says your in Nottigham, I've got the 8" dob and have modded the hell out of it to make it better, your more than welcome to come round for a look and to have a look at my extras and setup, or I can come to you, not fussed either way, seeing is always better than what words can describe.

Agree on the finder but I'd think about a red dot or Telrad finder, along with a wide field eye piece to help you get onto a target. Go for a decent Barlow as you'll only have to replace a cheapie before very long. I found the supplied 25mm ep was ok but the 10 was pretty poor and for a while fooled me into thinking that the ST 102 wasn't up to that much magnification. 

Hi Anthony, you will be off to a good start this Christmas! 10 X 50 bins, a dob and turn left at Orion, you are on the right track.

good advice above... I second the telrad, right angle finder, warm clothing, red torch etc... ?

other invaluable stuff?

ipad or similar with sky safari 4 pro, very useful Astro software. Good for identifying stuff and planning ahead. It shows you what There is and where it's at, for any time of the year.

Interstellarum Sky atlas, hard copy, will show you stuff your scope can see and allow you to plan your nights viewing in advance so you can be ready for a break in the clouds ? Plus it's a pleasure to trawl through it when the weather is cloudy etc.

a range of good eyepieces to allow you to get the best viewing experiences from your time spent at the scope...

have a great Christmas!

Guest Anthony

Wow thanks, quick and great responses everyone, good little community this is :D

So I'm now definitely adding a telrad scope as I saw that mentioned a fair few times in my research as well as your guys recomendations, will definitely make sure the Barlow I buy is a quality one, think I will stick with the supplied ep as mentioned above I have heard the 25mm one is half decent to start with (will probably upgrade within a week of getting out with my scope knowing me :D), got plenty of warm clothes already, will check out all those apps and books, and then there is the chair, this was the one I was worried about as I know the dob can be a bit of a pain for sitting at the right hight, so the adjustable iron chair definitely goes on the list too :)

Yeah your right daz, for the time being I'm not really looking into the photography side of it (yet). Definitely up for meeting up and checking out your modded 8" dob! Sometime after Christmas when the sky is going to be clear and your planning on getting out, give me a msg and we can sort something out :)

Again thanks everyone! Have a merry Christmas and A Happy new year :)

I see your thinking about a chair, while this is a very good idea, just to give you something else to think about and possibly save you a bit of money, I prefer to stand while observing but to save my back, I put my dob on a small table, the one below is only £5 from Ikea and is approx 1.5 foot high, I have cut a couple of inch off each leg to get the hight just right for me, just another option for you.....

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/20011413/#/20011408

:)

I found a telrad style finder is OK for brighter objects but not so good for fainter stuff. Also, a right angle finder is much easier on the neck muscles and back.

Telrads are great on the bigger dobs 10" or 12" and higher. But for a smaller dob that sits low on the floor I'd recommend a raci. Much easier than trying to bend down and get behind a Telrad at the right angle. Or raise the dob off the floor like Daz. :)

Edited by Brantuk

I think you are going to need a platform of some sort to make it a comfortable height to observe with any way, anything towards the horizon and you will need knee pads anyway. I do with my Dob, it's just uncomfortable trying to bend down to the eyepiece.

Telrads are handy as you don't need to see what you are looking for, you can position the circles (1/2, 2 & 4 degrees) against a datum star or patten of stars and it puts you in the right area.

You will need a dew shield for the Telrads as well, there is a site where you can print out a template and then make the shield out of neoprene or crazy foam. They work well.

11 hours ago, Sunny Phil said:

I found a telrad style finder is OK for brighter objects but not so good for fainter stuff. Also, a right angle finder is much easier on the neck muscles and back.

You won't find fainter stuff in a Telrad as it's got zero magnification, it's basically just a plate of glass.

The chair that myself and a few others use is the leifheit chair. Lots of adjustment, good quality and most importantly comfy. Would post a link but it doesn't seem to like my phone.

I have a telrad and it's great for getting you in the ball park then using a 10×50 finder for finer adjustment. Again it's horses for courses, and an illuminated raci finder is next on my shopping list. It's a long list!!! You will definitely need dew protection as I think baz pointed out. I have a heater on my telrad and it stays clear all night. But it does need power, I'm sure it won't be long before you have a battery rigged up as you will need dew protection for your scope as well. That's just added to your wish list dew straps, controller, battery....and so the list goes on.

I'm not all that far away, mine is the 10" which has the same mods (copied, thanks again Daz), but different shout up and I'll pop over with daz if you fancy a nosey.

Edited by tuckstar

Anthony, this is the chair i've just bought for my scopes :

22916277599_409887e22a_m.jpg

Edited by Bino-viewer

2 hours ago, Brantuk said:

Hi Andy - what's the base diameter of your 250px please. Is it 52cm like the Flextube? :)

I'm sure it is Kim. It seems they use the same base for all the 200 and 250s. Mine is the same diameter as Daz's 200 just the uprights are further apart. I'd be happy to measure it, but won't get the chance till the weekend.

I have the same one, it's not a seat as such, more of a perch, but it definitely makes it a comfortable night with one, particularly on objects lower down.