• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

NEQ6 pier adapter

Brady

A long shot but i dont suppose anyone has the above adapter i could steal some specs from at all? in particular the milled out part in the centre, depth/width, also the position of the azimuth stop and what thread it is...

Thanks all

Wayne

No messing...Thanks for your time Graham, much appreciated..see if i cant get one knocked up tomorrow...while the gaffer is away of coarse :ph34r:

Wayne

Only problem Martyn is i sold the EQ5 today and cant get the NEQ6 until the new year....if we have a clear night before then i swear im selling up and getting the fishing gear out again :)

Just do what I do and do lots of hobbies. When one is not able to be done, do one of the others. I've been having great sport with the zander and pike recently :)

Is Zander still classed as a vermin fish?

It makes good eating on the continent and it is an expensive dish in a restaurant.

There was a Wildlife and Countryside Act that states 'it is an offence to release or allow to escape any species that is not indigenous...' so officially, if you catch one, you are committing an offence if you put it back....it was called the General Licence and clearance order but it was years ago when i read it and weather it still applies i dont know, the same order applied to grey squirrel and a certain nasty crayfish that uses our very own as a toothpick.....but times change so not sure now Martyn.

Edited by Brady

Well technically yes it is a rule. However the stretch of canal I fish is not river fed and is owned by the canal and river trust but leased to our club (Lure Angler's Canal Club) and is a stocked water so the rule is not enforced in the 12 mile stretch. I must admit it is sometimes tiresome catching the Zander on the canal as they are so prolific they outnumber the pike 20-1. There do not seem to be any roach/Rudd/bream left in the canal anymore. There are some good perch too but that's about it species wise. So I can see why that rule was invented as they do seem to dominate other species in an enclosed environment.

I think it boiled down to policing it Felix, after all the fish was introduced by god knows who assuming we would all eat it, i would've assumed it would be policy on a canal as its a closed system, once they are in its like a buffet, the same thing happened to cromford canal with jack pike...i dont know if they wiped themselves out or was removed because i can remember a few years back there was literally hundreds of them all over the stretch and nothing else...this year i only seen 4 ?? :e_confused: 

Yeah definitely. Our club doesn't have a bailiff either so I am sure some will take some Zander home for the table and I probably wouldn't stop them (unless they were tiny or large numbers of fish etc) as the Zander numbers in such a relatively small stretch are huge. I was the same when i fished Leicester grand Union when I lived there the numbers of pike were huge. However I removed the roach and bream and tenth fishing on the Leicester stretch being very good in places so I don't think the pike numbers upset the balance too much. However the jacks used to take red maggot when I was after the roach! I removed my PB being pulling in a 6lb Jack on 1lb hook trace on a size 18 hook baited with single red maggot! Anyway sorry for taking your thread off on a fishing tangent! Lovely work on the pier adapter! Get the AZEQ6 if you can the altitude adjustment is so much easier :)

2 hours ago, catman161 said:

Yeah definitely. Our club doesn't have a bailiff either so I am sure some will take some Zander home for the table and I probably wouldn't stop them (unless they were tiny or large numbers of fish etc) as the Zander numbers in such a relatively small stretch are huge. I was the same when i fished Leicester grand Union when I lived there the numbers of pike were huge. However I removed the roach and bream and tenth fishing on the Leicester stretch being very good in places so I don't think the pike numbers upset the balance too much. However the jacks used to take red maggot when I was after the roach! I removed my PB being pulling in a 6lb Jack on 1lb hook trace on a size 18 hook baited with single red maggot! Anyway sorry for taking your thread off on a fishing tangent! Lovely work on the pier adapter! Get the AZEQ6 if you can the altitude adjustment is so much easier :)

IMO Kill every last one - Zander that is - they are as bad as mink and have destroyed a lot of Fen's fisheries. Heron's too have ruined lots but that's our fault as over fishing at sea but why do they just kill and not eat (like Fox's) once killed all my kids Carp in a couple of days. Most canal systems are not "closed systems" as they have rivers within the system or run into/out of rivers so that is why the Zander are spreading. Must admit best catch in one go was a roach which had a Zander attached which in turn had a large pike hanging onto it -  bizarre !- all on a couple of maggots. Agree with Felix go for AZEQ6 as it comes with belt drives which, I think I am right, the EQ6 still doesn't so saving 2-300 quid mod. Keep a eye on Astroboot they occasionally have "new ones" at a good price.

How in Gods name did this happen???...i talk to Graham about specs.....i take said specs and turn them into an adapter for my new NEQ6....we talk about Zander....and i end up with a AZEQ6.....money for the obsy has now gone..im trying to explain to the missus what a belt mod is and im getting that "speak but i sure as hell aint listening" look....but...i have a AZEQ6 on order...so all in all a grand day...Merry Xmas to you all :thumbsup:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Brady said:

How in Gods name did this happen???...i talk to Graham about specs.....i take said specs and turn them into an adapter for my new NEQ6....we talk about Zander....and i end up with a AZEQ6.....money for the obsy has now gone..im trying to explain to the missus what a belt mod is and im getting that "speak but i sure as hell aint listening" look....but...i have a AZEQ6 on order...so all in all a grand day...Merry Xmas to you all :thumbsup:

yep - its a never ending money pit and divorce case provider :D- enjoy your azeq6 - now you will want a ................ 

Ha ha! Yes! What a great thread this has been :) you won't regret the azeq6 it's a great value mount. The adapter you have made will fit the azeq6 base also so no probs there. It does indeed have belt drives already. Congrats on a great present to yourself :)

Well i hope you all had a good one, the mount is now on order with RVO, should be around 5th-6th so getting excited about that, the stick set and mask was looking sorry for themselves in the shed today so i decided to tack the new adapter on the original pier in the garden, it will give me power and will do until funds climb back up for obsy day...hopefully the start of summer :ph34r:...right question time...do any of you use eqmod or the like to control their mount WITHOUT the handset at all?, reason being if you look at the complete image of the mount i welded that piece on the right side for the eq5 bits that normaly attach to the tripod leg....i.e handset and control box if thats what its called?...well that has always been a snag point that i would like to do without in future so was either going to use the mount without the handset or have it placed up maybe on the adapter itself, too close for comfort???, also with eqmod can i still 3 star align without the handset or is it needed as part of the setup? i think ive had this conversation before but cannot remember the outcome..

Thanks All

Pier11.jpg

Pier22.jpg

Edited by Brady

Hey Brady, I use eqmod/ascom platform and CdC or you can use stellarium too without the handset. You do a 3 star align via CdC or stellarium and sync it with eqmod. I also use eqmod to polar align too, is much more accurate than me turning the mount until I think the polar scope reticule is in roughly the right position. Here is a really good tutorial on setting up with eqmod :

http://www.lightvortexastronomy.com/tutorial-setting-up-an-equatorial-mount-on-ascom-with-eqmod-stellarium-and-cartes-du-ciel.html

Then I'd you type in eqmod or Chris Shilto (creator of eqmod) into YouTube you will find his YouTube channel with videos of all the functions of eqmod and how to use them. I found these invaluable when I first started to use eqmod. Hope that helps :)

Cheers Felix, to be honest i prefer stellarium but didnt think you could use that for aligning , thats why i didnt mention it...well that makes things a bit easier but im going to check out that link you have up here as well, i know a lot of people prefer eqmod due to the amount you can do with it...cheers bud

3 hours ago, Brady said:

Well i hope you all had a good one, the mount is now on order with RVO, should be around 5th-6th so getting excited about that, the stick set and mask was looking sorry for themselves in the shed today so i decided to tack the new adapter on the original pier in the garden, it will give me power and will do until funds climb back up for obsy day...hopefully the start of summer :ph34r:...right question time...do any of you use eqmod or the like to control their mount WITHOUT the handset at all?, reason being if you look at the complete image of the mount i welded that piece on the right side for the eq5 bits that normaly attach to the tripod leg....i.e handset and control box if thats what its called?...well that has always been a snag point that i would like to do without in future so was either going to use the mount without the handset or have it placed up maybe on the adapter itself, too close for comfort???, also with eqmod can i still 3 star align without the handset or is it needed as part of the setup? i think ive had this conversation before but cannot remember the outcome..

Thanks All

Pier11.jpg

Pier22.jpg

Cannot believe I have missed this.

That looks very impressive  Wayne.

Top job you have done there sir. :2thumbsup:

With regards to EQMOD that is all I use in my obs.

You will have to get an EQ direct cable to enable you to loose the handset.

Edited by Graham