• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Comet Garradd

Guest Tweedledum

Guest Tweedledum

Comet is reasonably easy to locate now :-

http://www.heavens-above.com/comet.aspx?cid=C%2F2009%20P1&lat=0&lng=0&loc=Unspecified&alt=0&tz=CET

Script for stellarium :-

[Garradd]

name = C/2009 P1 (Garradd)

parent = Sun

radius = 80

oblateness = 0.0

halo = true

color = 1.0,1.0,1.0

tex_halo = star16x16.png

tex_map = nomap.png

coord_func = comet_orbit

orbit_TimeAtPericenter = 2455919.1863

orbit_PericenterDistance = 1.550778

orbit_Eccentricity = 1.000901

orbit_ArgOfPericenter = 90.7398

orbit_AscendingNode = 325.9957

orbit_Inclination = 106.1893

lighting = false

albedo = 1

orbit_visualization_period = 365.25

Cheers

Great, it has the two pointers to polaris locating it at about the same distance as they are apart. So should make for easy star hopping!

According to my info it is about mag 6.5 so I will try my 10x50s on it.

How do I add the script? I can't find a way other than f12 I did that but it can't find it in the database?

How do I add the script? I can't find a way other than f12 I did that but it can't find it in the database?

....and so it begins-I'll leave this one to you Damian ;) I never did get it to work in the end :)

Guest Tweedledum

Hi Chaps,

Cut and paste into ssystem.ini this can be found in the stellariumdata folder.

Hi Felix, have you tried the update??. There must be another copy of ssystem.ini that windows has stuffed somehwhere. You are welcome to drop the pc in and I will resolve for you.

Cheers

I tried that but it won't save for some technical reason or another. I'll use my eyes instead and look for it lol

Guest Tweedledum

Hi Mike,

If you are having difficulties it is best to open the INI file with wordpad, then place somewhere in the middle, after doing the cut & paste hit return (adds a line feed or CTRL-Z) and save.

If you are having probs, send me your INI file and I will put the script in for you.

Cheers

Hi Damian, I haven't tried the update yet,will give it a go. I don't wanna drop the laptop off with you,I feel like I would be imposing :). I will see what happens with the update first. Thanks for the offer.

As an aside I am fairly certain that there is no other copy of the ini file as I have done extensive searches and even used 3rd party duplicate file finder software with no joy. Will let you know how I get on.

It says access denied? Done everything right I think. Just won't let me save it...

I get exactly the same thing even though I am admin.

Maybe binoculars aren't quite up to the task for Garrad, at least from my light polluted backyard. It was probably there in view, but so tiny at 10x that it looked like a star.

I only managed a quick 15 minutes out there so was not really dark adapted.

I did see something of interest though. As I was looking for it, nearly at the zenith through the binocs, something came flapping by, lit up by some floodlight I was shielded from. It settled on one of the neighbours TV aerials. It was definately an owl, don't know what type, but quite large. I had a good view of it with the binocs as it was still illuminated by the light. Never seen an owl from my backyard, but often see bats and dusk or while observing.

Cheers,

Pete.

Guest Tweedledum

Hi Darren / Felix,

Mike located his hidden SSYSTEM.INI and is now ok, so my guess is you still have not located the spurious file.

Cheers

I can't recall now where it was hiding, if I had thought I would have made a note..... sorry.

edit: just looked in recycle bin, it was in: C:UsersMikeAppDataRoamingStellariumData

Edited by Perkil8r

I saw it through Phil's F15 refractor and it was looking pretty impressive.

Oh :P Someone found it through mine when everyone was gathering, can't remember who now though.