• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Wide angle eyepieces

Tweedledee

There seems to be a few cheap 2" 30mm 80 degree eyepieces available in the price range £50 to £100. I have seen GSO-UWA, 1RPD, RVO and Moonfish. I am also interested in the BST 100 degree eyepieces at £199 each.

I have previously experienced the delights of the 31mm 82 degree Televue Nagler which really is the benchmark for this type of eyepiece at 5 times the cost of the others. I suppose that I have become addicted to Al Naglers "space walk experience", but can no longer afford it.

Does anyone have any experience with these cheaper versions?

Any comments on the quality and view through these would be interesting, with details of the scope type, aperture and focal length.

Cheers,

Pete.

I used to have the Moonfish 30mm one and it was pretty good, it did show a fair bit of comet stars on the outer edges but the centre was pin point stars, It was a well made eyepiece and for the money a bargain.

Guest Tweedledum

HI Pete,

You had a look at Trapzium through my Moonfish 30mm 80 deg in the LX at the last meet at the CC. You are welcome to borrow it.

Its a great ep, sold the 42mm with the lx!!.

Cheers

Damian

Hi Mick,

Thanks for that info. I do like looking at comets :) but as you say, a bargain at the price.

Hi Damian,

Thanks very much. I will take you up on that offer once I get the right equipment.

Cheers

Pete.

Also thinking of a wide angle ep? Got my choice down to:

1] WO UWAN 7mm £160

2] SW Nirvana UWA82 7mm £135

3] Meade Ser 5000 6.7mm £134

or a S/H TV Nagler 5mm?

Any comments or suggestions would be welcomed please?

Edited by Ron Clarke

• 2 weeks later...

By all accounts these UWANs are an excellent close second best to the Naglers at a good price. I'll be looking forward to hearing of your experience with the 7mm, Ron. As I have probably said before, I have thoroughly enjoyed my previous 82 degree Nagler experience but with a 31mm and a 9mm.

Cheers,

Pete.

Will let you know Pete, with Easter I won't receive it till about Wednesday or Thursday!!

Just been looking at the spec of the ep you have ordered Ron as I am after a wide field of view ep but I would like something around the 30mm range. Seen that WO do a 28mm 82 degree fov ep, but checked the weight out, 1KG!!!!

Is that correct?

1KG for an ep?

My scope is struggling at the moment with its current setup, at this rate I am going to have to buy a saddle and ride the scope just to use it!

Edited by Daz type-r

It would seem so! 4 and 7mm are only 200gm's but the 28mm is a different beast! If you zoom into FLO's picture of the UWAN's you'll see the difference!!

It is a whopper, even with my normal counter balance weights it struggled when I borrowed Ibbo's once.

If you are not sure how much this is, then pick up a full bag of sugar, it sure will test how good your focuser is.

It was too big for me and it took some controlling, as the balance shifts when you move the scope more vertical. I suppose the benefit is that you would want to spend more time on one object, so that has to be good.

It's a top eyepiece though.

Hmmmm, not sure if that's the one then. I am already having trouble with weight balance, granted, I don't have any counter weights yet, so don't realty want any more issues.