• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Belper dark site

Guest jameslcfc

Guest jameslcfc

Hi, i am new to astronomy and am wanting to visit the belper dark site. I live in heage so am local to the site. Can anyone tell me where the site is and who i need to arrange the visit with?

Welcome to EMS.

I've moved this post as the Belper Dark Site has nothing to do with Derby and District Astro Soc, it is an EMS darksite.

You would be more than welcome to come along to any meet up there for a first visit free, after that we do ask for a nominal yearly subscription of £20 which goes towards the rent and insurance etc. Currently there are no plans for a meeting there as the site is pretty water logged after the last couple of weeks of rain. If you keep an eye in the announcements section meets get put up there, but often only the day or a couple of days earlier due to weather obviously playing a big part of our hobby. There is a meet planned for our other darksite at Wymeswold on Jan 30th though, and that will go ahead no matter what the weather does (within reason!)

Hi James - I'd recommend you attend the Wymeswold monthly meet because it can be held indoors in the event of bad weather.

It would give you the chance to meet everyone and find out what we're all about. Bring your gear just in case - and the members will be happy to answer any questions, or help you with a few tips 'n' tricks. :)

Check in the "General" section under "Info and announcements" "EMS Meets" thread James. There's a map and directions in one of the threads for Wymeswold meetings.

It's very near Loughborough - but worth the trip for your first visit. The monthly meetings get split between the two sites so you'd likely have to wait nearly two months for the next Belper one. :)

The addresses for the dark sites are;

Belper.

The Packhorse Ground
Sandyford Lane
Alderwasley
Belper
Derbyshire
DE56 2DP.

Wymeswold.

Burton Lane Playing Fields,
Burton Lane,
Wymeswold,