• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Catalina and fireball

Tweedledee

Just had my best view yet of Catalina, and through very thin cloud. Almost at the zenith at 6am. It was very easy to find in the 15x70s about one FOV from Alkaid. Large and brighter towards the middle. Only had a quick five minutes before work. Was just about to come in as a slow moving mag minus 2 fireball went west to east over the zenith for about 25 degrees of sky over about 10 seconds leaving a short trail and splitting into two pieces before fading out.

So glad I went out :)

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Doc said:

Well done Pete.

I'm yet to see it. Do you think it will be visible in my 10x50 Swarovskis?

You will probably get a better view in those than my 15x70s Mick :thumbsup:

It is just like a 5th magnitude nebula and very easy to find. Unusual to see a large bright nebula near Ursa Major and the zenith.

I bet you'll see some real detail in your triplet. It is 25 degrees above the horizon by 9pm and getting higher till sunrise :)

6 minutes ago, Smithysteve said:

Nice one Pete! The Bolide was a big bonus this morning no doubt! ?

Definitely Steve.

Always nice to have a surprise like that, and very lucky as I was rushing round for an early start and didn't have long.

Didn't even notice the cold despite the frost and I was in my dressing gown on the backyard :lol:

Nice one! I failed to see it at around 6am a few days ago in my 7x50s, but it was a bit hazy and I may just have been looking in the wrong place. I'll have another go next time there's a break in the cloud.

I missed it at the first attempt due to looking in the wrong place, but found it without a problem after I'd added it to Stellarium a couple of nights later - using my 8x42s. Can't wait to get the scope on it : 15th maybe.