• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

New EP's from ES

Tweedledee

Explore Scientific have just released a couple of top class eyepieces, argon purged and waterproof as usual.

These are 17mm and 12mm 92 degree eyepieces with the best possible corrections, but now catering for spectacle wearers and anyone else who prefers long eye relief eyepieces. They both have a massive 20mm of eye relief!! :)

The combination of very wide angle and long eye relief don't normally go together.

The comet hunter David H. Levy say's, "It's the best eyepiece I've ever had. It showed me structure through my telescope that I have never seen before. I was just delighted!"

As expected for premium eyepieces they have a premium price - $500. That's probably going to be over £400 by the time they get over here! :(

The Ethos 17mm has 15mm of eye relief and a wider 100 degree FOV.

I find it excellent for my eyes, but if I did need glasses at the eyepiece, then I might consider the ES92.

Interesting Pete! It's good that things are still evolving in the EP arena ?. Where have you seen them? They are not at Telescope house ?

1 hour ago, Smithysteve said:

Interesting Pete! It's good that things are still evolving in the EP arena ?. Where have you seen them? They are not at Telescope house ?

Rumours about a 92 degree ES have been around since last autumn, but details were sketchy as to why they chose 92 degrees when they already had 100 and 82 degree ranges. Later on it became apparent that they'd massaged a lot more eye relief from the 92 series, which is a nice step forward. As said above, long eye relief and very wide angles don't usually go together.

I was reminded about these EP's at the weekend when I bought S&T magazine. ES have a full page ad on the back cover devoted to the 92 series.

After using their 100 degree series, I think the 92's should be even nicer to look through and only slightly lacking in FOV.

ES do keep trying to push the envelope :)

Here's a link to the ES website for all the info...

http://explorescientificusa.com/collections/92-series-eyepieces

Edited by Tweedledee
  • Like 1

I wonder what happened to the Baader Morpheus range, I haven't heard no new reviews and all the chit chat on them has gone dead.

I was thinking the same Mick. There was quite a lot of noise about it when it first appeared then nothing. :dontknow:

Perhaps Sheila has the only one, and i'm sure she doesn't use it much :)

38 minutes ago, Tweedledee said:

Perhaps Sheila has the only one, and i'm sure she doesn't use it much :)

She doesnt, it's been sat at mine since EMS4 :rofl:

Edited by Daz Type-R

Well, you haven't done much raving about it Daz. :)

I don't think they've taken off that well, despite all the hype.

I've used it a few times at home, but against the TV Ethos it just does not compare, granted they are in different leagues but that fuzzy field stop just really annoys me.

Just checked on FLO and TS. The Baader Morpheus is showing good levels of stock on both sites.

They were in short supply in the run up to Christmas.

It would be very interesting to find some sales figures for eyepieces to see just how they compare with others for popularity. I wouldn't be surprised if the Morpheus hasn't really taken off.

Originally thought to be a cheaper version of the superb TV Delos, it really doesn't seem to have gained much of a reputation.

Edited by Tweedledee