• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Rossette Nebula, visible by eye?

Perkil8r

Now that M42 is slipping down the sky, I'm looking for a new target for imaging. However, I like to try and find things visualy too. So, with my 200p should it be visible by eye? I'm not in the best location, but I can see M42 no problem at all even without the scope I can see fuziness with the naked eye, on a good night I can see 18 stars in orion by the naked eye if that gives a gauge?

I've tried this one with my 200p and have never seen the nebula only the star cluster at it's centre.

If the star cluster is visible that will help. I like to be able to see the "before" if you like, as well as the image that comes "after". Not having a look tonight, SWMBO just got back in from work so we need to eat and I have a banging head today, but looks possible for tomorrow with slightly better seeing predicted.

To see that in an 8" you will need some really good skies and a dark site.

But try some averted vision. It should be easy to locate the stars in it, but the nebula is very elusive.

Good luck,

Pete.

I recall a response to a similar post on SGL said that a dark site and a large (16"+) dob might show some nebulosity. Maybe Doc will chip in with a comment.

Hi John,

I bet Doc has seen it. I just had a look through his gallery but it is not there. I love looking at Docs drawings.

It's going to be my next imaging attempt. I have a few minor details to sort, but I'll get there I'm sure. Just need to know what to look for I guess. I'll aquaint myself with the cluster and it's position, then learn to find it, then I should be good to go...... or that's the theory.

I'm not sure I have I'm at work at the moment will have a look through my notes when I get home. I would have seen the area of stars associated with the nebula but not sure on the nebulosity involved.