• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Fun with iTelescope

Tweedledee

I don't do astrophotography, but just wanted to show that I am having great fun imaging with iTelescope and can thoroughly recommend it. I can't even get on the learning curve of stretching and pulling out detail in the supplied iTelescope .fits subs. For every iTelescope target they supply the both the .fit data and a "quick and dirty" .jpeg version. The .jpg is great for subjects like star clusters, and needs no further processing at all.

Here are some of the images I did one cloudy night recently :), which I am very pleased with.

Each image is just a single 5 minute sub using various kit in Spain, Australia and USA...

Messier 13 with 15th mag galaxy IC4617 at 8 o'clock, and 12th mag galaxy NGC6207 bottom left...

m13.jpg

The S-shaped section of Collinder 70 the Orions Belt cluster, between Alnilam and Mintaka. It even shows several small nebulae...

Cr70.jpg

M42...

m42.jpg

M78...

m78.jpg

Widefield of Messier 35 and neighbouring clusters...

ngc2158.jpg

Close up of M35...

m35.jpg

Pazminos Cluster Stock 23...

Stock23.jpg

Globular NGC2419 the Intergalactic Wanderer 275000 light years away...

ngc2419.jpg

Nebulous cluster IC348 in Perseus. What looks like a dust bunny on the right is actually the dark nebula Dobashi 4186...

ic348.jpg

M1 one shot colour...

M1.jpg

NGC604, an HII region in the Triangulum galaxy...

ngc604.jpg

NGC1502 at the end of Kembles Cascade...

ngc1502.jpg

Collinder 136, the Tau Canis Majoris cluster...

cr136.jpg

• Like 3

Great selection Pete.

It's no wonder I can never find the Intergalatic Wanderer if it looks as small as that. But those two marker stars point the way. Must try harder.

Edited by Doc

They are great Pete. I must admit to using Itelescope a few times over the years, mainly in summer when Ive been getting stir crazy for DSOs due to lack of dark skies but its getting more tempting with the weather we have been having lately.

Ive used the Siding Springs gear a few times to go for Southern sky objects and stuff around Scorpio and Sagittarius, stuff I cant get due to trees blocking my southern horizon

I didn't do any last year though, I reckon it was cos I had all this imaging gear and wasn't able to use it so spending on using someone elses gear was a little galling 

3 hours ago, Doc said:

Great selection Pete.

It's no wonder I can never find the Intergalatic Wanderer if it looks as small as that. But those two marker stars point the way. Must try harder.

Cheers Mick, I remember giving up on that even under very dark skies at EMS 4. :)

According to Stellarium the globular is mag 9 with a surface brightness of only mag 12, and it is very small. The bright marker star next to it is only 4 arcminutes away.

Like you say the two bright marker stars at mags 7 and 8 should be a big help.

1 hour ago, philjay said:

They are great Pete. I must admit to using Itelescope a few times over the years, mainly in summer when Ive been getting stir crazy for DSOs due to lack of dark skies but its getting more tempting with the weather we have been having lately.

Ive used the Siding Springs gear a few times to go for Southern sky objects and stuff around Scorpio and Sagittarius, stuff I cant get due to trees blocking my southern horizon

I didn't do any last year though, I reckon it was cos I had all this imaging gear and wasn't able to use it so spending on using someone elses gear was a little galling 

Cheers Phil, I had about five tries at scheduling the above shots as they kept coming back "Observatory roof closed". So the weather still affects iTelescope :lol:.

I too want to have a go a Scorpius and Sagittarius :)

Edited by Tweedledee