• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

PoTM January 2016

BAZ

Well here we go for the first foray into 2016 and it has been abysmal weatherwise. I can only take my rain hat off to those that managed to get out and grab some images.

DSO's.

This is the largest contingent this month with nine entry's.

First one out of the traps is Graham just itching to get M42 on the back of the camera.

This was closely followed by Stuart with his New Years rendition of the Rosette Nebula. 

Phil turned his attention to M1, the Crab Nebula and did well bringing some nice colour out of it.

Wayne then went out on a mission and bagged a good few on the next night, to include, M42 (very nice), M101, the Horsehead Nebula and rounded off with a bash at Comet Catalina.

Not to be left out Vicky went out and bagged a rare beastie, IC63/59, the Phantom Nebula.

Stuart then went and captured the Heart Nebula the very next night.

Rob then turned out a stunning M42, which has absolutely bags of detail going off.

January's DSO's were completed by an extraordinarily rare capture by Steve, Jones Emberson 1, the Headphone Nebula. This is a really great image of an object that is not only faint, but a long way off as well.

LUNAR

A spattering of Lunar this month beginning with Felix bagging a capture of an unidentified bit of the moon on his new pillar mount and through his Dad's cast off 127 mak.

Phil replied with his shot of the Moon through his Mak.

Wayne on the next night contributed his mosaic of the Moon, which turned out nice. It's pin sharp and well exposed across the whole disc.

Phil returned fire with nice study of the crater Gassendi. It's well lit showing the central mountain peak and numerous rilles within the crater's wall.

COMETS.

Due to the severe lack of Asteroids and Meteors, it's just a Comet this month. Comet Catalina has been ripping through the sky and has moved at a fair old whack, evident in Wayne's shot from the 16th which was the last image in his DSO's section entry. 

Scott bagged a nice widefield shot of it at the beginning of January.

Stuart chucked his hat in the ring with a really nice capture of it.

Noel braved the elements and managed to wring one out of all the cloud and light pollution from Welsh Wales.

PLANETARY.

This had one entry from Wayne of Jupiter.

SOLAR.

The first of these is an unusual and challenging method of capturing the Sun's progress, a solargraph from Mr Perkins. 

Rob has a nice selection of white light images through his Herschel wedge for us.

Phil managed a bit of sunshine and caught this loop prom on the 28th. (Also caught by Steve as well.)

Steve provided the heavy artillery for Solar this month with his capture of the loop prom and it's lift off from the Sun's surface the next day through somewhat inconsiderate cloud. For me though his image from the 21st just has everything going on and despite cloud shows a Sun with a lot of activity on it.

WIDEFIELD.

Scott showed us what the new compact tracking mounts are capable of.

On a night with a bit of high cloud flirting through Mark went and bagged an epic battle going off  (That wasn't on the Ten o'clock News:P)   with a selection of widefield shots bagged from his garden at Wymeswold.

Sunny Phil had a crack at the close pass the Moon made of Jupiter and managed to bring out the moons of Jupiter despite the Moon's close proximity.

NON ASTRO.

This one from Rob merits a mention as without the Sun being involved it wouldn't have happened, that and it's simply gorgeous.

So despite the weather you have managed to bag some really nice images between you all.

I like the sheer simplicity of the way Mike captured the solargraph, not to demean from the processing the old school way ( see what I did there. :whistle:) that finished it off.

I like Ibbo's solid contribution to the art of Sun bothering, closely followed by Phil.

But I think for the time commitment, quality of it's finish and as recognition of how far you have improved your imaging, I think this month's PoTM has to go to Rob, (Red Dwalf). 

It's just a really nice image of an old favourite which is just jammed to the corners of the frame with a nice sharp shot of M42.

Well done Rob.

finished-combinned-processed-ha-image-m4

• Like 3

Thanks for the write up Martyn.

Well done Rob for a super M42, loved that one and well done to everyone else for getting out.

Top job!

Congratulation everyone for all the wonderful entries, but a big well done to Rob for a fantastic M42.

Very well deserved PoTM :thumbsup:

Well done Rog a great image and detail deserved

Edited by Stephen

Well what can I say, I'm honoured, it's been a labour of love this one and I still haven't finished it yet and I'm running out of time for this year, I think my second effort at processing has come out a bit better, this ment being brutal and deleting subs which contained slight trails, very upsetting deleting subs of 15 minutes.

Anyway many thanks, and a great write up Martyn and we'll done to all that managed to get some imaging done in this poor weather.

2nd-finished-processed-image.thumb.jpg.037d20cfa43f4e1254f29d4da897824a.jpg

Congrats Rob on a beautiful shot and a well deserved POTM. :)

Well done to all the runners up for a great bunch of shots too!

• 2 weeks later...