Welcome to East Midlands Stargazers

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you'll be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customise your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, communicate with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you've signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tweedledee

Right way up observing

6 posts in this topic

I just wanted to relay what a pleasurable time I had this evening doing some casual observing in the backyard.

I was using my ST120, and the things that made it so good were the fact that I was using a simple alt az (AZ4) mount, a Baader 2" 90 degree erecting prism and an ES 8x50 correct image illuminated finder.

This combination means that everything you look at is exactly the same orientation as the star maps and naked eye view of the sky. It is much nicer to use a set up with these items which make finding objects so simple, and panning around the sky you always know exactly where you are and never get lost. When using a conventional setup without the correct images makes it so much more difficult and time consuming trying to do the mental somersaults to relate the view in the scope/finder to a star map or your own knowledge of the sky. These correct image accessories aren't particularly cheap, but I feel they have really transformed the way I observe and let me find far more stuff and enjoy the hobby even more.

Tonight I just had the most wonderful time mainly panning around the cluster rich milky way regions of Monoceros and Orion and a few other constellations. Monoceros especially is an area to get lost in because unlike Orion, which everybody tends to know their way around with all its bright marker stars, it is made up of faint stars in an unimpressive pattern. Most people could draw the pattern of Orion pretty accurately from memory, but not many could do the same with Monoceros. At least with correct image accessories, the unicorn can be tamed and navigated much more easily with direct easy reference to a star map. It is well worth giving Monoceros a good session as it is jam packed full of interesting stuff if you can only locate them.

tuckstar, Werisit and Streetbob like this

Sounds like you had a great time. 

Amazing how something so simple can improve your viewing so greatly. 

Sounds like you had fun. Do you think you lost much light through the prism? Did it matter for the objects you were looking at, or is that where the expensive bit come in☺

Visually I can't see any difference in brightness as compared to my old Meade UHTC mirror diagonal, although theoretically there would be a tiny percentage. Theoretically the prism does cause a small amount of vignetting on my 25mm 100 degree eyepiece as the EP field stop is slightly bigger than the clear aperture of the prism. This should dim the view at the field edges. I have moved stars from the middle to the edge of the field and can't be sure if I can see any difference in brightness, if so it is negligible. All my other eps are fully illuminated by the prism. Therefore my conclusion is that correct image viewing is a big bonus in convenience for me. Also it should be said that the variation in the sky conditions from night to night, or indeed the deterioration that can happen over short periods, would have a far greater effect on the view than the transmission loss or vignetting. The only downside is the extra expense, but for me it is definitely worth the convenience :2thumbsup:

tuckstar and Smithysteve like this

It was a very clear night here as well

I'm still to buy one of these Pete. I know I said I would but other non astro things keep spending my money :(

It's a great set up you have for relaxed observing.