• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Gravatational Wave (possibly) announcment at 15:30 today.

Daz Type-R

So the LIGO team - website here........

http://www.ligo.org/news/media-advisory.php

Have an announcement today at 15:30 where they may (and I stress may) have found evidence for gravitational waves that Einstein predicted over 100 years ago.

I cannot find a direct live blog but have managed to find a 3rd part blogger who i believe is there.....

http://live.arstechnica.com/have-scientists-directly-observed-gravitational-waves/

There is also LIGO's twitter feed....

https://twitter.com/LIGO?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author

They have now confirmed it. An amazing effort considering how absolutely minuscule the movement they they are measuring. Einstein was a true genius.

I have been trying to find some details of the detectors, according to Inside Science on Radio 4 , the mirrors are 40kgs of ultra pure glass, suspended on a 10 micron thick glassfibre strand. All of this is in two and a half miles of ultra high vacuum tubing, then there's another one at right angles and it's the difference in the speed of the laser that detect the wave. This can be as little as one atom movement.

When they get the same signal at the other detector over two thousand miles away they know they have nailed it.

5 minutes ago, BAZ said:

I have been trying to find some details of the detectors, according to Inside Science on Radio 4 , the mirrors are 40kgs of ultra pure glass, suspended on a 10 micron thick glassfibre strand. All of this is in two and a half miles of ultra high vacuum tubing, then there's another one at right angles and it's the difference in the speed of the laser that detect the wave. This can be as little as one atom movement.

When they get the same signal at the other detector over two thousand miles away they know they have nailed it.

I suppose a backyard DIY version might be difficult then!

I don't know, Daz is around that distance away, we've got mirrors and a Dyson either end.......yeah, maybe not, it's full of cat hair.

• Like 2

I was skeptical but now I believe they have actually done it! The numbers are mind bending. They said in the announcement that they can measure to an accuracy of 1/1000 of the diameter of a proton! At a distance of 4 Ly they can detect the width of a human hair! The mind just cannot comprehend this stuff.

I don't know who I admire the most, Einstein for predicting it or the folks who figured out how to detect them!

10 hours ago, Perkil8r said:

I was skeptical but now I believe they have actually done it! The numbers are mind bending. They said in the announcement that they can measure to an accuracy of 1/1000 of the diameter of a proton! At a distance of 4 Ly they can detect the width of a human hair! The mind just cannot comprehend this stuff.

I don't know who I admire the most, Einstein for predicting it or the folks who figured out how to detect them!

Mind boggling stuff. Just amazing that they can do such things.

To think that the signal captured was over a billion yeas old, a ripple from 2 black holes colliding - blimey!

Just how often does that happen? I never felt a thing!

incredible science, incredible events!

Scientists will be buzzing, I wonder where it will all lead to!

Also just revealed a GRB from that area was detected 0.4 seconds later. I consider that the certificate of authentication!

Well, you have to give Einstein huge credit for correctly predicting gravitational waves, which he did in 1905. It has taken this long to be able to figure out how to detect it, this really is just jaw dropping dedication, some of the researchers have been doing this project for decades. It just blows the mind to even comprehend how sensitive this instrument is.

I hope one of the TV channels does a decent program on this.