• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

M42 with new equipment

Guest Si2504

As some of you know, i'm reasonably new to the telescope scene. Although i've previously owned a newtonian reflector, i recently purchased a Skywatcher 80ed PRO amongst other things, mount etc. Unfortunately, due to the weather of late, i hadn't really had the chance to try it out, until yesterday (10/2/16) :)

My first proper outing with it mainly consisted of learning the scope and mount, and doing more observing than anything else. However i did get a bit of imaging in, M42, a good starter point i thought having previously took multiple images of it with just DSLR and tripod. so this was more of a learning curve for me more than anything else. I didn't bother using the guide cam as i didn't wan't to complicate or put too much pressure on myself right away. so here is my result, 19 minutes total exposure (stacked in DSS) ISO 1600, 5 dark frames and 5 bias frames, Canon 70d. hope you like it :) 

12715518_10208448809882918_3673552596263

Thankyou everyone:) i was really gobsmacked when i viewed the very first raw picture when i was testing the exposure. Can anyone give me any tips on how i could improve things the next time out? Recommended number of images or target total exposure time etc.. The one thing that really mind boggles me is trying to thing how long an exposure should roughly be for a particular object to get the most data from it. I also had to be careful on the exposure time due to being surrounded by residential street lighting.

Any tips and help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Super picture , just did my first shot of that last night, the tip I got from a club member was get as much data as possible so I guess that would  mean for you work out Max exposure time  before the street lights spoil things and take loads of lights and darks as many as the tracking and resonable time allows, maybe try ISO 800 to see how it effects noise. Above all enjoy!