• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Astrophotography-equipment to get

Mitt

Hi all.I have a skymax pro 180,which i would like to image the planets/moon with.

I have got the 880? webcam but believe it needs 'flashing' to a Phillips 900?

Is there a link anywhere on how to do this?Also,i believe i need to install Registax.

Next on my list is to photograph some deep sky objects,i already have a dual mount bar,and

a skywatcher 80mm scope which i intend to guide with.The main imaging scope (when funds allow),

will be a ED80.Is it possible to use a autoguider without a laptop?. My mount is a HEQ5.

Sorry for all the questions,but know idea really,where to start,and not that computer literate!

Thanks.

Mitt.

have a look at this

regards DSO imaging I recomend a refractor (ED80 is good) as its much easier than a Mak shorter effective focal length for starting out

If you get the webcam to work you could use that for guiding

You do need a laptop to use a guide scope, I use PHD guiding (free) which is good (at least the 1.4 v is!) I use an ED80 or an MN190 on a HEQ5 and a Canon DSLR, this combination works very well and is a popular set up!

Cheers

Ron

I think the webcam has been flashed.Does show as a 900 in Sharpcap.Just got to wait now for the clouds to go!

And try and get my head around Sharpcap.Haha

Mitt.

Edited by Mitt
Spelling mistake

Ron's correct - you can use a laptop with a guide scope and guide camera and Phd guiding software. You can also get autoguider packages like the Skywatcher one without having to use a pc. I've seen mixed reviews of these but have no experience of them myself - so this link is just fyi. There are one or two others as well.

http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-sky-watcher-synguider-autoguider/p1526305?mkwid=sj1i24a01_dc&pcrid=89741386019&kword=&match=&plid=&gclid=cjrl0s_zicscfun4wgodc2ghja

Hope that helps :)

i`d concentrate on you planetary imaging first with the webcam and mak, that will keep you busy, i would recommend you getting a flip mirror, this will save you an amzing amount of time when trying to get your image onto the tiny webcam sensor, i would also recommend downloading and using auto stakket software, free, for stacking the video files rather than registax, i only used to use registax to do the wavelets adjustment at the end, which works very well, and firecapture, free software again, for video capture. 

• Like 2

Works very well,

Not sure if I've spelt it correctly but it's something like that.

Edited by red dwalf

I have used Autostakkert!2 or AS!2 for a long time now and wouldn't go back to using registax for the stacking anymore. The wavelets I do in registax and then take the picture into photoshop to do my post processing. Great bit of software AS!2

Had a go last night with the webcam on Jupiter.For some reason when i tried to use Firecapture,the laptop just 'froze'.

Not sure what settings i used,only that i ended up with around 3,500 images of Jupiter,using Sharpcap,and stacked with

Autostakkert,had a play with the wavelets in Registax,although not sure what i was doing! A weekend of tutorials i think is needed!.

Regards,

David.

jupiter.jpg

Great start David - soon as you master the software I'm sure you'll be able to improve on it.

Then you can show me how lol :)

have a few words with Felix, catman161, he`ll be able to advice you on settings and using software i`m sure , some of his planetary images are stunning

• Like 2

I think that i could well be on the limit weight wise for the mount,although Jupiter wasn't that high at the time,and seemed to 'dance'

all over the laptop screen,must try get better focus,but i was to excited after seeing it on the laptop.lol.

Drop me a PM with your equipment mitt and I'll do my best to help out with settings etc. The effect of Jupiter "dancing about" was the seeing last night. I was remounting my big scope and had a look at Jupiter to test my polar alignment and the seeing was terrible last night.

• 4 weeks later...

After looking at the tutorials that Felix helped me out with i managed this tonight.(17/3/16).

1000 frames at 10 frames per sec,stacked in registax,and tweaked in CS5.

Comments/criticism appreciated.I tried using the barlow,but was unable to achieve focus,so it was at F15.

Jupiter_1000frames.jpg

Very nice indeed. A huge improvement on the 1st one. Well done. The capture settings in terms of exposure and gain are much better and you've brought out good band detail. As Daz says, keep going and you'll get better and better :)