• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

M31

Guest Si2504

Guest Si2504

one target that i intend to put some time into is M31. So last clear night i had a play about so i could try and learn a bit of what to do and what not to do next time out. This is the result of 25minutes worth of exposures stacked in DSS and processed in Photoshop and Lightroom. A lot more work and learning to to on this one. Hopefully next time out, i intend to try for around 1hr worth of exposures with a lot more darks, bias and flats. Also will be going for a guided shoot.

The first picture is processed, the 2nd is the unedited image. 90" x 16 lights and around 5 darks and flats if i remember correctly. ISO1600, unguided.

12841454_10208633770706823_5484500759140

12495940_10208633770506818_1648155162043

Looks excellent to me. You seem to have got a lot out of the data you have. Nicely processed.

Flats should sort out your dust bunny and any gradient issues you've had. Wonder about a lower iso? Lots of people like iso800. Someone else may chip in for this target?

Anyhow better than any of my efforts in M31. A target a hope to revisit soon.

What equipment are you using?

Steve

Guest Si2504
6 hours ago, Johnnyaardvark said:

Looks excellent to me. You seem to have got a lot out of the data you have. Nicely processed.

Flats should sort out your dust bunny and any gradient issues you've had. Wonder about a lower iso? Lots of people like iso800. Someone else may chip in for this target?

Anyhow better than any of my efforts in M31. A target a hope to revisit soon.

What equipment are you using?

Steve

Hi steve, i am using a skywatcher ed80 pro refractor on a EQ5 pro goto mount. Camera is a 70d

Lovely image of a lovely sight!

Good to see M32 and M110 nicely in the frame too ?

thanks for sharing

Great capture! I don't do exposures of 90 seconds but since I've been taking more darks, I've been getting better results. About 8 to 10 is good.