• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Melotte 111

Very nice picture of a neglected cluster. Your backgrounds are getting blacker so the stars stand out much better :)

You just got down past 10th magnitude. I tried to find some of the galaxies within the FOV, but with the brightest being 10th  to 11th mag, it just didn't go quite deep enough. It is a big cluster, your image spans a full 12 degrees wide! :thumbsup:

Sounds like a pun but my images are getting darker when I shoot more dark frames. It might be possible to rig something up to get longer exposures. I am finding that many of the brighter star clusters show best at a focal length of 100mm. I'm still experimenting a lot and yes, you're right, I shoot a lot of targets that are not often visited. I have done M31 and M45 but know that others can get much better shots than I can with my kit. Other objects, like the Hyades and this one are much more suited to DSLRs.