• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

More DeLite's from Tele-vue ?

Bino-viewer

Hi folks.

I've seen reports from the US that Tele-vue are shortly to be expanding their new 'DeLite' eyepiece range.

The Delite range was introduced last year in 18.2, 11 & 7mm focal lengths, as a smaller, more economical and alternative to the highly successful Delos range which debuted in 2011.

The DeLites have a 62 deg afov, 20mm of eye relief, and the same, beautifully designed, adjustable locking eye guard shared by the Delos.

And best of all they are designed by Paul Dellechiaie, the legendary designer of a lot of these amazing eyepieces.

If you are interested in the DeLites, here is a nice review of them by W.A Paolini

http://astronomyconnect.com/forums/articles/tele-vue-delite-eyepieces-first-light-review.1

I'm now seeing from US Vendors that a 15, 9 & 5mm version will soon be joining their 7, 11 & 18.2mm brothers.

They are due sometime around late spring, and are listed, like the others at $250 USD.

Oddly enough, there's no mention of them at all on the Tele-vue website ? :huh:

I have thought on occasions about a mid / high power pair of eyepieces for bino-viewing, but have stuck with my current 13mm high power set,

as no matter how much i like the look of the DeLites, i don't want to give up on the Nagers 82 deg fov.

Those 15mm DeLites look nice though. I could sell the 13s to help pay for them, and try them out,  and then save up for a new high power set.

The Docter UWA have been on my wanted list for quite a while now.......

25517294100_9013dc5729_z.jpg

Edited by Bino-viewer

Always compromises :)

A pair of Delites to replace your Naglers would give you better eye relief and have nicer adjustable eyecups, about equivalent weight, but I reckon you really would miss the extra AFOV and have a lighter wallet. Quality of view wise, I think the Delites should be slightly better than the Naglers, but I bet you'd struggle to see the difference and they would be pretty much identical to the central three quarters of the Nagler view.

I bet a pair of Docters would really be something else in a bino-viewer :thumbsup:

I think the issue i have is that most of the time, particularly recently, the seeing we get here simply won't support my high power 13mm Naglers.

On those rare good seeing nights (i myself, personally, haven't had one this year yet) the 13s really come into their own.

But its a bit of a big jump from 19 up to 13 and i've often thought about a 4th set of eyepieces to fill the gap.

Excellent, I really like my 18.2 and 7 mm, the 9 would be a useful addition. I shall watch with interest. I know what you mean re conditions and higher mags but Ive managed to use my 3.5mm Vixen on lunar and doubles a few times this year even in my f15 so dont give up, its always worth having high mags in your case

I too often wonder about the use of high mags but when the conditions are just right, it soooo makes it worth it.

Luckily for me was last Thursday night into Friday morning at Lucksall for SGL XI, the "seeing" was the best I had seen it for ages, the atmosphere was sooo still and Jupiter looked amazing so I stuck the 8mm Ethos and the 2 x Power Mate in the dob giving me a 4mm EP @ 300x magnification of Jupiter, it was just stunning, the detail was fantastic.

Always worth having at least 1 high power EP in your arsenal.

:)