• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Mars 21/03/2012

oldfruit

Just been out imaging Mars, conditions are not great but i have captured some detail. There is what appears to be a lot of cloud? on the lower left of the Martian disc. Someone please correct me if i am wrong.

Taken with spc900, 3x tv barlow + extension tube and 8 inch newt.

I was out viewing Mars tonight as well, I agree with what you say, I don't have the detail you have (obviously) but I saw plenty of what I thought was cloud, as well as a brief glimps or two of the ice cap.

Nice shots with plenty of detail.

Very nice shots-some nice detail,clear polar cap. I was also out last night viewing mars and could only visually make out cloud detail through my 200p but I was happy with that as its only the second time I have mange to make out any detail on mars. Considering I live in a part of the city where it is so light polluted I was fairly pleased with what I saw.

Glad you a good session too Darren :)

Fantastic detail Mark, those images tie in with what I was getting visually. Even though conditions weren't great I was getting the best views of Mars this year.

I did spend a little time observing visually too and Mars was looking quite good last night. To be honest i think my focus was a little off and also i have over processed a little to enhance the cloud.

I have only managed to image Mars a couple of times so i am still playing with the capture settings and hope to acheive better results with experience, as i had the same with Jupiter and it took me a couple of sessions to find the best settings for capture. Trial and error is half the fun. :)

The cloud wasn't as obvious visually but it was definately there. Nice to have some images to confirm observations.

Guest @ndyC

These images of Mars are really impressive i was outside last night using my 2x Barlow with a 10mm and saw these dark features on the surface and its good to see them on an image from last night.

Edited by @ndyC