• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

EQMOD users help

Guest Si2504

Guest Si2504

Sorry for the continued questions of late, but i really want to fix any issues im having before i next go out to reduce setup time and give me more time actually using the scope. So this question regards EQMOD.

Does anybody know what you have to do to tell EQMOD that your mount is in the home position when starting up? The reason being is that last time out, when i selected to slew to an object, it fell considerably short in declination, then when i clicked 'park scope' RA returned to the correct position but DEC went maybe 20 degrees past where it should have stopped.

Any help would be great. Thanks

not 100% sure, but if it wasn`t properly aligned when asked to return to the home position then i`d just lossen the clutches and align it that way, start it up move it around and then ask it to return to home position and see what happens, sometimes they do stop for a second or two before continuing.

Guest Si2504
4 hours ago, red dwalf said:

not 100% sure, but if it wasn`t properly aligned when asked to return to the home position then i`d just lossen the clutches and align it that way, start it up move it around and then ask it to return to home position and see what happens, sometimes they do stop for a second or two before continuing.

thanks rob. I think however i may have sussed it out. I was having a little play and observing what was happening and it appeared that when the telescope was slewing to an object, the DEC motor drive cover was very slightly catching on the DEC clutch knob as it passed over causing it to jam whilst the motors continued slewing. so of course EQMOD thought the scope was in the correct position and had moved the right distance, so when the scope is parked it moves back the same distance but because the scope wasn't where it should have been it over-shot the home position.

fingers crossed i've cured it :)

If you haven't found it already I highly recommend you check out Chris Shillito's (creator of EQMod) YouTube channel but one that may help you with this problem if you find that it has not been sorted by your solve above this video may help