• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

1st Lunar light Df

philjay

A quick test of the Nikon Df on lunar last night during a very brief gap in the clouds. The Df was at native focus on my ED80. This is the full frame view to show just how small the full moon is on the chip of an Fx camera and the inset is a crop at full size.

It shows promise. Live view focusing is a bit of a faff compared to the Canon and Olympus, just means Ive just got to learn a new routine.

Next session will be through the Mak 180 to see what full frame gives on that.Df%20lunar%201st%20light.jpg

• Like 3

Looking good! I bet you were just itching to use your new, shiny piece of loveliness! ?

Very nice Phil.

Does the Df have a 'focus peaking' option ?

I find this invaluable on my Sony mirrorless....

Lokking good Phil, what's the phaff with Liveview then? How does it differ from a Canon DSLR?

Cheers

Ron

In live view, Ron, you can adjust focus and see it aperture (if using a lens, you can adjust but it don't show until you switch LV off then on again. But if its one a scope then aperture doesn't mayyet but adjusting exposure and ISO does not show at all. BUT the focus check LEDs in the ragefinder are spot on, so focus is a mixture of liveview and rangefinder then its a matter of taking images till you get the right exposure with previewing after each shot. Sounds long winded but its fairly straightforward.

The Oly EM 10 on live view does the lot so you can adjust everything whilst in LV and see the results instantly then take you shot. But the Oly is a 4/3rds sensor so doesn't cover the area of the full frame Df

13 hours ago, Bino-viewer said:

Very nice Phil.

Does the Df have a 'focus peaking' option ?

I find this invaluable on my Sony mirrorless....

Yeah Rob its quite handy as described above

Edited by philjay