• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Which Forcast Do You Use?

Perkil8r

I've now resorted to windows based weather forcasting, accurate 100% for my location and for about 30 mins depending on wind strength :lol:

Seriously though, I use SAT24 which is very limited but can give a rough idea, Met Office, BBC Weather and Astro Panel. Last night I decided to check the forcast for tonight and all showed a different forcast. (I didn't use SAT24 as this is only really applicable a couple of hours ahead IMO) So which service do you use, and which seems to be most accurate? I find long range (ie 2 or 3 days) Astro Panel is usually pretty good, but on the day it seems pretty unreliable. It was showing clear skies all night last night but all I saw was cloud. Other times it says cloud and I have unbroken clear skies.

I use BBC local weather

Trouble is with the Barton/Hull area being either side of the Humber, and near the North Sea

it has its own little micro-climate, and things can change (not shown on forecasts) rather quickly

Much the same for me...

I use SAT24, BBC weather, MET Office and the most important one..........

Sticking my head out the window - never fails!

:P

Guest Darrian

BBC weather is always a good one but to be honest you can't beat sticking your head out of the door and looking up !!

I'm a firm believer that windows based forcasting is by far the best, but it is somewhat limited by how far I can see lol

Last Friday the local weather girl on twitter said it would rain in Hull on Saturday morning

A combination of my spider senses, and the fact the cows were stood up, told me it would stay dry

And it did

Guest Darrian

To be fair no one listens to the weather girls on the TV......I only tune in for a bit of Eye candy !!!! (UMMMM Lucy Kite)

• 10 months later...

Another vote for Weatherpro on iOS. Uncannily accurate. The radar & satellite images are excellent.

........and another thumbs up for Luscious Lucy Darrien !!   ;)

From  general point of view, I find Metcheck.com pretty reliable. They have an astronomy section (under the hobbies tab) which gives more detail on cloud cover at different levels, but I haven't had many occasions to use it recently :( .

Holly thread resurrection batman! :D Now a days I tend to use a combination of the met office forecast, 7timer and then use the data on the 7timer website to formulate my own forecast. It's relatively accurate upto around 5 days in advance. Most of it comes down to gut feelings, wishful thinking and looking out of the window though to be honest.