• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

3" Broadhurst Clarkson refractor plus mount - SOLD

philjay

Antique Broadhurst Clarkson 3" Starboy Refractor

(Useable, takes modern eps plus RAS,  this is not a museum piece)

Unpredictable  health and weather means I am thinning the herd a bit. This scope has been standing looking magnificent in my den/office for almost 2 years without being used properly except the odd grab and go, I created this set up to be used. So to avoid it gathering any more dust I am looking to move it on to someone who will use it.

Telescope

3" Broadhurst Clarkson Starboy circa early 20th century. (Signed on the focuser body). Complete with aftermarket finder and numerous RAS accessories.

BC1.jpg

The antique /vintage accessories include ,

5 off RAS thread brass eyepieces to give 6x to 120x

Screw on planetary filter caps, red, green, blue, grey, yellow.

Fitted wooden eyepiece box, possibly made by original owner.

Draw tube extension with RAS thread.

Fitted wooden crate for telescope, (showing signs of age and various modifications over the decades.

2 off terrestrial eyepieces (the long brass tubes in the photos)

Broadhurst Clarkson  prism diagonal

I will throw in a brass Star diagonal/herschel wedge that I picked up, its not really useable but it makes a good talking point.

1" finder with internal r&p focusing. This is not original but is from the same era as the scope (maybe even older) and was fitted by a previous owner really well with substantial brass brackets. It just looks right and works fine giving about 9 or 10x

BC3.jpg

BC11.jpg

Condition, the scope and accessories are in original lacquer. The brass has a super golden colour to it which I like therefore I have not stripped and polished anything or re lacquered because I like the way it looks. The original lacquer is scuffed in places but generally its in good condition for an antique telescope.

This scope is untouched by brasso there are no signs that previous owners have used the horrible stuff.

The scope and accessories above are all antique and are eminently useable, giving great views. The objective of the scope is clean and unmarked with no chips or scratches. Eyepieces are in similar condition. The only restoration I have done on the scope is to strip and clean and get the internal R&P focusers working smoothly.

Useability

I didn't want this scope to be a museum piece therefore I have made an adapter that fits into the antique diagonal which takes modern 1.25" eyepieces or CCD cameras. I include a Sirius 25mm Plossl and a TMB Planetary 2 9mm eyepiece with the sale, it works extremely well with these.

Mount

Yep its an EQ3/2 but I have modified it with brass so it doesnt look too modern and fits in with the look of the scope.

The elegant tripod I made from mahogany with brass fittings and the tray and spreader from the eq3 mount.

The mount is driven in RA only with a manual slow motion control (in brass) for the declination.

I have used this scope on lunar and planets getting great views plus it makes a good lunar imager, see lunar shot which was taken with my QHY5 guidecam.

I would like this scope to go to someone who will use it so I am putting it up for sale in the Astro community. If it doesn't sell here I shall reluctantly split and sell the scope and accessories in the antiques community where it will go rapidly but I want to keep it together hence its for sale on here.

This scope was included in Neil English's book Classic Telescopes. Also it is the same type of scope as Sir Patrick Moores 3" that can be seen in the old S&N progs in the background, SPMs has an altaz mount and more modern finder.

This scope needs to be seen, plus there's a lot of stuff include in the sale so its collect only from Derbyshire or take to a meet.

£825 collect or EMS meet

This is advertised on EMS first, it will go to a wider audience at the end of the week

Image 31.jpg

Edited by Daz Type-R

Ta chaps, its a lovely scope and very practical, the eq3/2 suits it far better than the flimsy period mounts you see.

Please note, this is not my 4" F15. That will only be for sale OMDB :-)

Not only is it utterly gorgeous, it performs magnificently as well. Good Luck with the sale, I hope it goes to a home where it will be used as it was intended.

• 1 month later...