• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Home-built dobsonian, first look!

Guest AllyMcD97

Guest AllyMcD97

Hi guys,

Not sure if any of you will remember me asking for help about half a year ago regarding my plan to build a telescope, but anyway, after lots and lots of work and late nights researching what to do, I've finally finished the build! I'm yet to stick the mirrors in and have my first look at the sky, but within the next few nights I'll update on that!

I'm not expecting it to be very good, I've never done anything even remotely like this before and I've run into many obstacles along the way, but regardless, I'm proud of it and hopefully this is just my first step into the world of telescopes (both owning and building them!)

telscope.jpgtelescope angle.jpg

That looks fantastic, I would be well chuffed with that.

Looking forward to a first light report.

I would be really proud of that, it looks superb. Good luck with mounting the mirrors, I'll bet you can't wait to put some star light through it.

Way to go Ally :rockon:

It looks the business.

Let us know when you get your mirrors. What aperture are we working with ?

That is a superb job, love the styling, well done. :)

It looks a really solid build, and seems like you've cleverly designed it to have the eyepiece at a reasonable height even when pointing at the horizon :thumbsup:

Well done you, it looks great! Nice practical design, I like the height aspect and the struts look the business.

i would be proud of that! ?

I hope you give us an update very soon!

cheers ?

Like it, very original! Hope it performs as good as it looks & there's no reason why it shouldn't.

That's a great job you've done there Ally. You should be proud. If you need any help or advice on collimating your mirrors just ask. someone on here will have the knowledge. Looking forward to your "First light report".