• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Robin Hoods Stride from Birchover

philjay

Just playing with my new film scanner (Bday pressie) and scanned in this from a walk I did in feb this year.

Its on 35mm film, (yes folks you can still buy it :D and its making a comeback) taken with Nkon FE 35mm SLR. Scanned at 3200 dpi. The print from the lab of this lost everything in the shadows even though I used exposure comp, so Im happy that the scanner has bought this out.

So apart from getting the chemicals for my own processing I am now kitted out for doing my own processing with film at home. Scanner is in place of the enlarger though, Im not quite ready to convert the obs into a darkroom yet.

robinhoodsstride3.jpg

Very nice image :thumbsup:

Looks like the remains of some ancient castle from a distance and even more unusual from close up. Birchover and nearby Stanton Moor is full of interesting ancient sites and stone circles.

Went to Robin Hoods Stride a long time ago, lovely place.

You've captured it from a place I've not seen it from before.

I see your image, as posted, is 1200 x 777 pixels. Will it blow up much bigger before it shows the grain, or is that about the best size to view it on a screen?

Edited by Tweedledee

Yes Mick, but Im going to start on bw 1st. Ive even got the changing bag, ive been practicing loading film into the tanks in the bag, it aint easy.

Cheers Pete, its a favourite area of mine, Stanton Moor especially. Ive cropped it to suit the limited image handling on here so its lost a heck of alot in detail and size. I scanned it 3200dpi which gives a nice big image to play with but it doesnt take forever to scan, the scanner can do 12000 dpi but thats just silly :-)

I've used a changing bag and from what I remember it was PITA. I done my B&W photography at college way back in 1982. Got to use chemicals and an enlarger, was a great learning experience. Not done a lot since but I have used a scanner. You have a lot to learn Phil but it's a really interesting subject.

Keep posting photo's and maybe a write up on how it's all done. 

You never know I might give it a go again.

Edited by Doc