• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Hurrah! New toys!

Dean Watson

Well, thats me active again.  Just took delivery yesterday of a Celestron CPC1100 with wedge, dielectric 2" diagonal, JMI motofocus, dewshield etc.  Just got to install it all in the dome now and let the monsoon season commence! (and awaiting delivery of rings to go on the topplate for my Scopos 80 semi apo and im also getting the star sense - unnecessay luxury but then again we dont need goto either and I love the idea of just letting the gear get on with the tedious bit itself...!).  Looking forward to trying out the altairastro GPCAM too.  Lovely blue anodising!

Yes, I'm also looking forward to the pics :)

Sounds like Christmas and birthday rolled into one :thumbsup:

Pics - along with my address and schedule of when I'm out of the house!  Actually, it all sounds nice (and is) but my folks had to croak it first.  On a positive note the probates been granted and the house sales going through any day now so hopefully things'll pick up a bit.  Spent a couple of hours last night cleaning my eyepieces  - Laughable really as I mainly like to image and cant remember the last tie I used one.  Had a good chat though with Steve from ENS (good bloke) on Sunday night and he was waxing rhapsodic about the joys of binoviewers so that might be a next spend.

1 hour ago, DeanWatson said:

Actually, it all sounds nice (and is) but my folks had to croak it first.  On a positive note the probates been granted and the house sales going through any day now so hopefully things'll pick up a bit.  

That is pretty much how I upped my astronomy game about 15 years ago Dean. After my parents passed away and the dust had settled and their house sold, we moved to a bigger house and I blew about £6000 on scope stuff and built a 3 metre domed observatory to put it in. A few years later 2008/9 sold the obsy on ebay for 99pence buyer collects and sold all my tackle through poor health. Got myself fit again, joined EMS and got a new set of astro gear :)

hi pete, what a loa of ups and downs.  The nice thing about astrommmmennnyyy is you can pick it up and put it down at will.  I got into it around 14 and have been coming and going since.  The thing is, as per my original intro, stuff like this gets in your blood.  As i say, very much a child of the 60s, 70s so grew up with space flight, astrononomy, Sagans Cosmos and whatnot.  Part of your personal culture and it sticks with you.  Other than the dome, hope you didnt lose too much when selling, second hand gear goes for so little.