• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Televue plus Baader

Tweedledee

Had a nice phone chat with Al Nagler today. Had some queries about using the 17mm Ethos with the Baader coma corrector - spacings etc. He was great to talk to, and resolved all my queries seemingly straight from memory without any hesitation. He was very pleasant and helpful even though I wasn't using his coma corrector. He did a great job of persuading me why I need a tunable Paracorr type 2 though :). I was surprised that he was even in the office, and more surprised to be put through to him, though I don't think he would have said his name if I hadn't asked. At 80 years young, I'd say he is still their best man in both the technical department and sales department :).

Had a bit of a google after and thought this was a nice read, though sorry if someone else posted it previously on EMS as I seem to remember seeing it before somewhere...

http://www.televue.com/pdf/tv_handout_nightskybioonalnagler.pdf

Also found this 79th birthday pic, what a brilliant cake :) I calculated the field stop to be 113mm, so it is about to scale :o

nagler79mm.jpg

Fantastic stuff, so you just phoned up TeleVue and got to speak to the man himself?

Well jealous!

Excellent Pete.

Great to hear you spoke to the man himself.

He is a true gent. I got to chat with him a bit at Astrofest 2 or 3 years ago.

As astronomers, we have alot to be thankful for where the Nagler family are concerned.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Daz Type-R said:

Fantastic stuff, so you just phoned up TeleVue and got to speak to the man himself?

Well jealous!

I'd like to say I had his mobile number on speed dial, but no :). By half way through my conversation I realised I was talking to someone who really knew his stuff, unlike some other technical departments who usually palm you off with "give me your email and I will try and find out for you but it may take a week". I then thought I might be talking to David or the Delos guy with the unspellable name, so I had to ask. Felt a bit odd and nervous then discussing my silly bit of confusion with the legendary man himself. I suppose most people would feel like that on talking to their favourite film star or singer. He was just great and very clear and precise with his explanations. Definitely lived up to my expectations, a good experience :).

• Like 3