• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Cheap webcam or CCD for solar

seven_legs

As posted on other page I am getting a Lunt solar wedge next week. Just had idea of keeping a image record of the sun. Would be using a st120 on a steel Az4 mount. So was looking for something cheap, easy to use and basic to connect to laptop.

any ideas?

thanks

1 hour ago, seven_legs said:

As posted on other page I am getting a Lunt solar wedge next week. Just had idea of keeping a image record of the sun. Would be using a st120 on a steel Az4 mount. So was looking for something cheap, easy to use and basic to connect to laptop.

any ideas?

thanks

I recently bought an Xbox cam for £1.50. I usually do full disc shots using a 127 Maksutov and DSLR.

I use a lifecam

Cheap to buy. 

Simple to convert for astro use and you can take full HD videos. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎25‎/‎04‎/‎2016 at 08:48, seven_legs said:

Thanks Phil and Graham will look at them

Got one and used it yet?

No. Been meaning to do a report on the wedge it self.

Really like the wedge but I think I need a refractor with a longer focal length because with my st120 I cannot seem to get a good close up view, plus the chromatic aberration is very off putting. Will think about getting a Continuum Filter and a second longer focal length scope. Wonder  if a ed 80mm would be good. When I happy with view will get a cam

Hmm..never been a fan of barlows. The cheap Skywatcher one I have got is a bit poor to be honest. 

What barlow would you recommend?  

And use the Continuum Filter to negate the chromatic aberration?

Tele Vue all the way, decent write up here below.

They have come on leaps and bounds in recent years, where I don't use a Barlow myself I do use a powermate and I hardly notice it is there.

Trouble is the cheap ones are naff and they give a bad press for all barlows but the likes of Tele Vue ETC have pushed the boundaries.

https://www.widescreen-centre.co.uk/taxonomy/term/278/products

I use an Antares Barlow myself.

Good Barlow lenses are not cheap but you get what you pay for.