• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Dobsonian setting circles

Guest Apples

Guest Apples

Hi,

I'm fairly new to astronomy. I have an Orion with the Intelliscope Computerised Object Locator. It seems a bit hit and miss to locate objects,although that could be user error to be fair during the initial star alignment.

I've been thinking about making a setting circle for the base and using a digital inclinometer.

Anyway a few questions: -

Has anyone had any success with the Orion object locator?

Has anyone retrofitted a homemade setting circle and inclinometer and if so are they any good?

Is there an advantage of using a setting circle as opposed to just using a digital compass?

Very many thanks in advance for any advice,

Warm regards,

Apples

Hi Tony welcome to EMS.

Lots of members have added a setting circle and wixey to their dobsonian, it is one of the most done modifications.

There is a good tutorial by one of our members (Daz) here: https://www.eastmidlandsstargazers.org.uk/topic/5570-setting-circle-mod-for-dob-bases/#entry62815

I much prefer manual technology, in my mind less to go wrong. 

My dob has a setting circle and digital wixey. Best thing I ever did. It's based on dazs. As the 10 inch has the same base as the 8". I know they differ from the orion.

On a good night I can find 20+ objects using the setting circles.

Can find most things with a nice low powered wide fov eyepiece.

Hi Tony, I agree with all the above about setting circles...

i helped modify someone's Meade, 10" dob using Daz's modifications including fitting a lazy Susan too. It works a treat and he swears by it. He bought a wixey too and uses sky safari to get the alt az longitude and latitude settings for objects whilst observing...

This was a fellow Sherwood observatory member whom you know. If you are going to the Obs tonight we can have a chat about it along with the guy whose scope I modded. He will be very willing to endorse this method...

cheers!

Just be aware of magnets in your phone case. I pulled some hair out trying to figure out what was wrong one night. My Samsung flip case has a tiny magnet in it that messed up the compass so skysafari was out by a a good few of degrees.

Guest Apples
2 hours ago, Smithysteve said:

Hi Tony, I agree with all the above about setting circles...

i helped modify someone's Meade, 10" dob using Daz's modifications including fitting a lazy Susan too. It works a treat and he swears by it. He bought a wixey too and uses sky safari to get the alt az longitude and latitude settings for objects whilst observing...

This was a fellow Sherwood observatory member whom you know. If you are going to the Obs tonight we can have a chat about it along with the guy whose scope I modded. He will be very willing to endorse this method...

cheers!

Thanks Smithy. Yes I emailed him a few questions earlier. Hopefully see you tonight.

If you find yourself with a loose "Intelliscope Computerised Object Locator" lying around gathering dust - let me know - I might be able to help you clear it out lol :)

Guest Apples
21 hours ago, Brantuk said:

If you find yourself with a loose "Intelliscope Computerised Object Locator" lying around gathering dust - let me know - I might be able to help you clear it out lol :)

Ok will do.