• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Tiny 10 minute mod

Tweedledee

I got a 3 way finder bracket a while back - just in case I need any more finders :facepalm:.

My other finder brackets all have little lugs at one end of the foot. The lug is to prevent any chance of the bracket plus finder slipping out of the shoe and hitting the deck if it came loose due to temperature changes or incorrect tightening. The triple finder bracket didn't have any such safety lug. I thought this was quite an oversight, especially considering that with this item, up to three, probably expensive items could smash to the ground.

I don't possess any thread tapping equipment, so I thought about drilling a small hole and gluing a lug into that. What I actually did was this. I bought a small stainless steel grub screw for a few pence from my local bolt shop, drilled a hole into the underside of the aluminium foot slightly smaller than the screw. Put a little countersink into the hole and with an allen key, gradually made the hard stainless steel grub screw tap itself into the softer aluminium. Took me about 10 minutes messing about and it was sorted and the grub screw seems very firmly in place. I'm quite happy to load it up now with without any fear of it slipping off the scope.

Before and after...

20160430_223423.jpg

20160430_223845.jpg

• Like 2

A simple but effective solution Pete,

I have a few taps, if you ever need one give me a PM and I will have a check - cheers

9 minutes ago, Smithysteve said:

A simple but effective solution Pete,

I have a few taps, if you ever need one give me a PM and I will have a check - cheers

Thanks Steve.

I will give you a shout next time, cheers :thumbsup: