• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Assistance in setting up polar scope

Starman 1967

Hi all

anybody willing to help me set up my polar scope. I've just spent a couple of hours trying to align my polar scope with my RA axis. What a ball bag that is. I'm willing to bring my kit to you. Local to Arnold if possible. I'm free tomorrow night (Sunday 1st) pretty please. I would be most greatfull. 

Unfortunately I am a bit of a way from you otherwise I would be glad to help.

What is the problem you are having.

Should only take ten mins at the most.

Aligning the Polarscope using those horrible little hex grub screws is indeed a nightmare.

Ditch the grub screws and replace with M3 thumbscrews.

Then it does become a 10 minute job.

I think these are the ones : (crazy price, i know)

http://www.365astronomy.com/M3x8A-Galvanised-Steel-Thumb-Screw-for-Eyepiece-Fixing.html

And before you try anything else, watch this.

Edited by Bino-viewer

My polar scope is different to that in the video it's a bolt on extra designed to bolt on to the side of the azeq5. To adjust the scope to align it with the RA axis there are 6 screws 3 are Allen bolts and 3 are grub screws all seated on a flange. The manual says all 6 are for adjusting. But it seem the grub screws are loose and don't do anything. The bolts were tight to start and do adjust the positioning. Just every time I rotate the RA axis I seem to be adjusting the scope back and fourth repeadly. 

I am about tomorrow if you fancy bringing it over to Watnall. Give me a shout if I can help out.

I might just baz. I'm trying to have a go now but it's is proving to be tedious at best. I will let you know later. Thanks.

Lol martyn. I got  confused then. Martyn , baz oh dear.....:o:o:o

Darren

Think of it as collimating a newt.

The Grub screws are for adjusting the Allen bolts are for locking it off when done.

When aligning only adjust the polar scope half way back to where it should be.

Every time you make an adjustment flip the mount through 180 degrees to check alignment.

After each flip you must realign the mount to what ever you are using to check your polar alignment.

IE.

1 align poler scope onto a distant object like a tv Ariel.

2 Flip mount 180 degrees and check alignment.

3 If out adjust the polar scope half way back to your Arial.

Go back to step 1 and repeat.

Edited by Graham
  • Like 1

Well I've been doing it for couple of hours again I've got it the best so far but it's not right. When would be suitable for you tomorrow?

Some time around two-ish would be good, how's that for you? I'll pm my address.

Edited by stash
sorry missed the post by Rob