• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

HELP ENTERING SYNSCAN DATA FOR NEWBEE

Guest EASYLEE

Guest EASYLEE

HI ALL

I have an eq5 mount with synscan i have read the manual 50x  and carnt seem to grasp certain aspects of entering the data on the synscan so if anybody  can help her are my details

1   these are my cordanates

LONG      -1.099624800000015             how do i enter -1.   etc ? i carnt find the - digit...   do i enter long first or lat ?
LATITUDE  53.298446500000004

my location is worksop notts     postcode    S80    if anybody need to check thees cordanates  i think they are right from google maps

2 entering time    in worksop notts  +00.00  or - 00.00 then what do i enter in place of the four zeros ?     

3  daylight saving  Y  or N   ? does this change when we put the clocks back ? 

4 after  polar aligning do you move the telescope back so the small circle is back at the bottom in the polar finder before starting the two star alignment or do you leave the polaris star in the small circle at say 3.15 for example and then start a two star alignment ? leaving the telescope pointing in some obscure direction ?

i know these question are probably  stupid but any help would be great..  as my fingers are getting colder every night  and iam getting nowhere

thank you all..

Get your coordinates from Google Earth, you cannot use decimal values. Daylight saving is now Yes. What mount are you using?

Cheers

Ron

Guest EASYLEE
10 minutes ago, Ron Clarke said:

Get your coordinates from Google Earth, you cannot use decimal values. Daylight saving is now Yes. What mount are you using?

Cheers

Ron

its an eq5 but its a black one!!   ive never seen one in black apart from mine so dont know if it could be slightly differant or ive been dupd !

Don't forget that they enter the date in the American configuration, MM.DD.YY. That would throw things right out.

Don't remember having probs with this from the manual so Ive just had another look and its quite straightforward

Its all in the initial set up section but just to run through for you

Polar align, once you have polaris in the polar scope you rotate the RA and Dec to the home position after polar alignment so the synscan knows where its at before starting the calibration. It says in the manual 

"Point the telescope roughly at the celestial pole (or polaris)

Make sure the counterweight rod is pointed down as seen in fig h"

The manual has a good graphic to help you get the idea of this

Co ords

use the scroll key to choose between east and west and north and south, remember to press enter after the selection then the cursor will move so you can then enter the numbers

Time zone ..... + for east and - for west

Daylight saving - Yes it changes when the clocks change, at the moment its "Yes"

Edited by philjay

Guest EASYLEE
17 minutes ago, philjay said:

Don't remember having probs with this from the manual so Ive just had another look and its quite straightforward

Its all in the initial set up section but just to run through for you

Polar align, once you have polaris in the polar scope you rotate the RA and Dec to the home position after polar alignment so the synscan knows where its at before starting the calibration. It says in the manual 

"Point the telescope roughly at the celestial pole (or polaris)

Make sure the counterweight rod is pointed down as seen in fig h"

The manual has a good graphic to help you get the idea of this

Co ords

use the scroll key to choose between east and west and north and south, remember to press enter after the selection then the cursor will move so you can then enter the numbers

Time zone ..... + for east and - for west

Daylight saving - Yes it changes when the clocks change, at the moment its "Yes"

thats great thanks i needed to know to return the telescope back to home after  polar alignment before using synscan     thanks again lee