• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

A couple from me.....

Bino-viewer

Like you Rob, I certainly liked today! The Mercury transit was one for the memory banks! It's surprising how much entertainment a small black dot can cause! ?

great pictures too!

?

• Like 1

Very nice Rob. :thumbsup:

The white one is just as I saw it, but the green one seems to bring out a tiny bit more detail or at least makes it easier to see. You certainly got a little more detail and sunspots than I could see in the eyepiece.

The detail i saw on that main sunspot group was excellent. 

Quite a few 'oohs and arrs' from everyone who took a look through my scope.

We had a public viewing session down at Alvaston park yesterday with DDAS.

I must have 30 people look at the transit yesterday. That included Radio Derby, the Police and some rather nice young ladies passing by....;)

I put that down to the binoviewer as much as anything.

The Herschel wedge, Mk V and my 'work horses' - 24 & 19mm Panoptics  (giving 48x and 60x) are a great combination. Stunning views.

But for me more than anything, its the start of these events, whether it be transits, solar / lunar eclipses / occultations etc that i enjoy the most.

And when they do start, it's the realisation that i'm seeing the Solar system in action, in real time, just me and my scope. :telescope: This is a great hobby, don't you think ??

• Like 2

Yeah Rob I'm sure that's it, I bet as the young ladies walked past one said to the other.....

"Corrrrr, look at the Herschel wedge and bino viewer on that"

;) 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Bino-viewer said:

Quite a few 'oohs and arrs' from everyone who took a look through my scope.

We had a public viewing session down at Alvaston park yesterday with DDAS.

I must have 30 people look at the transit yesterday. That included Radio Derby, the Police and some rather nice young ladies passing by....;)

I put that down to the binoviewer as much as anything.

The Herschel wedge, Mk V and my 'work horses' - 24 & 19mm Panoptics  (giving 48x and 60x) are a great combination. Stunning views.

But for me more than anything, its the start of these events, whether it be transits, solar / lunar eclipses / occultations etc that i enjoy the most.

And when they do start, it's the realisation that i'm seeing the Solar system in action, in real time, just me and my scope. :telescope: This is a great hobby, don't you think ??

Sounds like a great time at Alvaston :)

Agreed, this hobby is great Rob. :thumbsup:

To see with your own eyes that tiny perfect black circle of Mercury actually moving slowly across the sun and passing sunspots really is quite mind blowing. Also the fact that it has been predicted to fractions of a second, and those timings can be observed and verified by people like us even using very simple equipment is wonderful.

I was lucky enough to see a previous Mercury transit, and the Venus transit which was a far bigger and more dramatic blob than Mercury.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Bino-viewer said:

I also think this is a great hobby too Rob!!!

Some people get a buzz from jumping out of an aeroplane, I get a buzz from finding out about the universe we live in. It's amazing to be able to predict a transit, or an eclipse and even more amazing to actually see them happen with your own eyes! ?

Cheers!

• Like 1

Sorry......no pics of the pretty ladies to drool over, just these two coppers.

But they were impressed with what they saw. 

I think i could do with losing a few lbs.......:facepalm:

26335112453_63a51f1d01_c.jpg

Edited by Bino-viewer
  • Like 3