• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Transit part deux

philjay

Smashing shot Phil - pretty much the exact view we had for a good two hours of yesterday's transit. :)

A great shot Phil, you have captured the 'dot' and Sun very well ?

All the 'practice' you have done in recent months has paid off! :)

I like that Phil very crisp.

It also answers why I could not tune my PST to see the flares -- there wasn't any :facepalm: :lol:

• Like 2

Myself and a few others managed to see some flares at the 3 and 4 o clock position yesterday through Steve's PST. ???

4 hours ago, Graham said:

I like that Phil very crisp.

It also answers why I could not tune my PST to see the flares -- there wasn't any :facepalm: :lol:

I was dismayed too Graham when I thought my pressure tuner had gone pear shaped. Then I saw the live feeds and realised there was next to nothing flares wise lol. :lol::rofl:

Very nice clear picture Phil. :thumbsup:

Mercury looks to be a very small dot compared to the sun, and on my phone I have to zoom in just to see it. It is worth considering that if it was the same distance as the sun, it would appear even smaller and just over half the size it is in your picture. Mercury was about 0.55AU from us during the transit.

Edited by Tweedledee

Thanks folks, Im happy with the image.

The Olympus OM D EM10 is a great little camera and I knew that I should be able to get reasonable lunar and solar from it. Lunar was a shortish learning curve but solar through the Lunt has been a longer, eventful  :)   but interesting lesson and theres still more learning on the processing side.

Don't listen to anyone when they tell you DSLRs aren't much cop for solar, I didn't :D  Yes they are but it takes a bit of work, they aren't plug and play.

Is it a Lunt 60 you're using Phil ?

Our society solar scope is the Lunt 50.

I have to say, i struggled using the helical focuser. Don't like them.

I can't see any way of putting a prime focus camera on the back of it ?

Yep its the Lunt 60Tha Rob. It has a real (but basic )Crayford. I initially ordered a 50 and I was wondering how I would get on with the helical focuser but due to the supply problems last year I changed my mind and went for the 60. I reckon I made the right choice although I have seen good images from the 50.

Doesn't the 50 have the usual blocking filter diagonal on the back? If so then its just fit a 1.25" nosepiece (or barlow in my case) to the camera.

Yes, our scope has a B600 blocking filter.

The odds are stacked against me : both my 'Barlows' are 2 inch fit. My camera is Full frame. I'm doubting i'd be able to reach focus anyway.

I've not been able to have a proper session yet with the Lunt 50. Just a few quick views yesterday.

I'm sure there must be a T thread on the 50's blocking filter - mine has one on the B1200 Rob.....

Edited by Brantuk

The b600 is classed as a visual bf by lunt unfortunately, different brightness etc so dont know if it will have the t thread that the b1200 has. Because I image a bit I went for the b1200 right off.

Great image Phil just I saw it, I am selling my Lunt 60 1200B double headed

Why is that Steohen, have you got another scope?

Re blocking filters, I wasn't quite right, they differ with the scope focal lengths, Lunt page explains all  https://luntsolarsystems.com/product/lunt-blocking-filters/

but I was advised the 1200 on the LS60 was better for imaging.

The LS50 with B600 should be fine for imaging then, also it does have a T2 thread. A barlow will help with the image size on the chip but you should still be able to get an image without

Thanks for the link Phil - there's a lot of useful info there I hadn't seen before. :)

Just a quick rework. Played with local contrast and curves a touch. Not sure hmm

transitrework2.jpg

Edited by philjay
  • Like 2

It's good as far as I can see Phil - bit nearer than your first effort to what we saw in the scope on Monday. Nice one! :)

Thanks for your advice & help re the Lunt 50.

Had it been me i'd have opted for a 60 over the 50 we have, but as it's a society scope, we decided on a £1k budget.

The bloomin things are overpriced anyway if you ask me...........:rolleyes2:

They are very dear indeed. I think it's all in the filters and figuring. Designing a scope down to 5 or 7 angstroms, etalon tuning, and making it safe for observing, must be rare and precise skills. I dare say the materials ain't cheap either..... :)