• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

The Comparison

Bino-viewer

I couldn't resist posting this after yesterdays transit.

You may have already seen my image of Mercury. 

I thought it would be nice to show a comparison with the Venus transit of 2004.

It was actually one of my very first images using a digital camera which was a Fujifilm F610 compact brought only a few weeks before.

I had no scope or mount, and this Venus image was a handheld afocal shot through my Canon 15x50 binocs. At the time i was pretty chuffed with the result.

Fast forward 12 years and things have certainly moved on a bit ! 

Two simple circular dots on 2 images a decade apart. One happened yesterday, the other will never be seen again by any of us.

I'm so pleased and humbled to have seen them both in beautiful sunny weather conditions.

26905530866_b596d04554.jpg26939196415_3f263b29db.jpg

Edited by Bino-viewer
  • Like 2

Its a bit bigger isnt it Rob? I too had a look at one of my old Venus transit images from then and its surprising

• Like 1

Marvellous, I too was lucky enough to see both, and Venus was so big :)

Great to see that comparison, thanks for posting that Rob :thumbsup:

• Like 1

I remember the Venus transit very well - I projected the image from binocs onto a bit of white card on the front porch that day. It was all over in a couple of hours if I recall correctly. And yes Venus was a much bigger dot. Glad you thought to do this comparison Rob - very interesting! :)

Thanks Kim. If i remember correctly the Venus transit was slightly over 6 hours. (i watched it all )

It started around 06:40 that morning. And i was sat on a sunlounger in our back garden with binocs, probably to the amusement of the neighbours :lol:

That explains a lot - in those days I would never have been up that early lol.

I musta just caught the last couple of hours. It was in the days when amateur astronomy was just a twinkle in my eyes. ;)

Nice to see both images you do for get, I spent the day on my drive with people taking a look at Venus as they walk by

Edited by Stephen