• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

ELAC meets North East Astro

oldfruit

Tonight some East Lincs Astronomy Club members met up with some North Lincs Astro members at tbirds house.

There was a nice variety of scopes on offer tonight and thanks to all members that allowed me to look through thieir scopes.

The biggest thankyou though goes to Paul (tbird) and his Mrs and helpers for making everyone welcome and also for putting on a nice spread to keep us all fed and watered. Nice bunch this astro lot. :D

Venus was dazzling high in the western sky with Jupiter and a nice thin crescent Moon complete with Earthshine below it. What a beautiful way to kick off the evening.

Jupiter though past its best was putting on a decent show tonight and we observed one of the moons at the edge of Jupiters disc and were able to see the moon against the planet as it started to cross in front of it. Unfortunately after a small amount of time the moon was lost in the planets glare. This was also probably due to the planet being quite low so seeing was not the best.

Mars was looknig very nice tonight with a lot of surface markings as well as the pole cap clearly visible on the disc. In fact though opposition has passed it has been commented that Mars is looking better now than it did a few weeks ago. I have to agree and have enjoyed observing Mars this evening.

A couple of nice open clusters were also observed this evening but due to the fog rolling in we had to pack up about 9.30.

Good night had by all.

Looks like a fine evening.

It was Craig, just a shame about the weather as had it stayed clearer i think that we might still be there now.

In full agreement Mark, thanks to Paul and family for warm welcome and food etc.. just a pity about the fog rolling in! Lynne enjoyed the ladies company and thanks them very much. We did get lost again in the fog and ended up heading for Mablethorpe! The fog cleared as we moved inland and we stopped near North Kyme and had a wonderful dark sky vista including a low rising Saturn! Good to meet everyone again and look forward to next Gib Point meeting!

Ron

Thanks for the nice write up Mark. I'm glad you all managed to find us here :)

Considering the appalling forecast, even on Saturday morning, I think we were lucky to get any observing in.

Yes thanks mr and mrs tbird, sorry I was so late, work always gets in the way. I had a very nice evening and the scope kept nice and dry. Lol

While clearing up I found a Telescope express pen near to where Ron was observing, is it yours Ron ?

If it lights up, then yes! Hang onto it I'll grab it at Gib Pt next time, ta :)