• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Hello from Strelley / Nottingham

banners

Hello all, my name's Steve and I've recently bought a second hand Helios 200mm reflector telescope. It came with a EQ5 mount but aluminium legged tripod along with a 10 and 25mm Plossl ep's. 

I joined up at Stargazers lounge but found this site from a little Googling. It makes more sense to join a local based group of enthusiasts :) 

So far I've had a few nice viewings of the Moon, Jupiter blew me away, Mars has so far underwhelmed and Saturn has been a joy to behold! The light pollution is an issue as I back onto a supermarket :( Still, I'm enjoying the views so far. I look forward to meeting with you in the near future.

Hi Steve and welcome to EMS :)

Congrats on your new scope !

Edited by Brantuk

Hi Steve, welcome aboard. That's a great set up. Any questions, just ask away someone will be able to help.

Hello and welcome to the forum.

Nice scope and mount to get you started.

:thumbsup:

Welcome to EMS Steve. ?

You should now be well hooked to this great hobby if you have gazed upon the sublime Saturn... :) 

1 hour ago, Smithysteve said:

Welcome to EMS Steve. ?

You should now be well hooked to this great hobby if you have gazed upon the sublime Saturn... :) 

I must admit, I was looking forward to seeing Jupiter most. I'd seen it sitting there in the sky waiting for me, but Saturn was an unexpected seduction.... I think I've fallen lucky on taking the plunge when I have tbh.

Saturn was the first planet I ever saw - bought my first scope specifically to find it and have a look. It still is the most jaw dropping sight every time I see it. :)

• Like 3

When I first spotted Saturn I called the better half to come and view the delights. Decency prevents me from quoting her directly, but she was impressed as well. 

• Like 3

HI Steve, a warm welcome to EMS. It looks like you are off to a cracking start, Saturn can certainly be a show stopper even with duff seeing conditions.

I am just round the corner in Watnall, you are always welcome to pop over for a netter and a brew.

Enjoy the forum. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi Steve :)

I'm not far from you, Stapleford. Hope you have a fab time gazing into the heavens.