• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

ZWO ASI290MC

Brady

I dont suppose anyone has purchased one of the latest ZWO by any chance? and if so what are their thoughts on it?, its time to upgrade from the qhy5-ll which has now found its place as the primary guide camera so was originally looking at the 120 as its replacement then out pops this which has very few reviews as yet all be it good ones but would like some first hand if possible before i throw some queens head at it..decision between the mono and colour is still on going but do like a bit of colour from time to time :)

Thanks All

All of the worlds top planetary imagers seem to be using these cameras nowadays ?

Bit ironic really ; they all have £20000 worth of Paramount & C14s.......then get amazing results with these £300 ZWO ASIs.

I know what you mean Rob, if i remember Felix has the 120 with some fantastic results too, the thing is im not up to scratch with the Sony blah blah sensor this and the Sony blah blah sensor that so im just after a push in the general direction for planetary and lunar...

Cooled??? i dont know, does it justify another 300 quid for a fan/heat sink/peltier??? proberly not as there are fan mods out there for them now for £30...so i am at least answering some of my own questions but there is a choice of 3 in the same price band and cannot find info on what the actual difference is other than the Sony sensor which to be honest blinds me with figures and things i know nothing about......answering another one of my own questions..i think its time to phone 365 :)

Guest Testgear

Hi Brady, I have a ZWO ASI290MC-Cool  on order. It should be here by the end of June although the site I ordered from over a week ago advertise as "Available 3-5 working days" :(.Very annoying!!

I looked at other cameras but this one has the smallest pixel size. So should be good for planetary images. I also went for the cooled version because the review I read on CN with a C14 suggested the none cooled version showed some noise.

When/if the device arrives and the skies clear, I will post a quick review/images if possible.

Cheers David much appreciated...to be honest i jumped on the wagon when there was only one left in stock and bought it :) i went for the standard and have ordered the materials for the peltier mod on ebay by Mr Pyott, only cost an extra tenner so worth a try, from what i can work out the noise is minimal or at least reduced so should be easy to process out...although they havnt seen my processing so we will see;), mine is now on standby awaiting clear..

Thanks again David i look forward to seeing the pics