• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Planetary details and faint Messiers!

Smithysteve

I had several objectives in mind when I opened up the home dome last night at 11.00pm.

I wanted to have a good look at Jupiters banding and GRS.
Look for details on Mars, 
Check out Saturn's colour, banding and Cassini division.
Look for some Messier objects near Saturn. (M4, M80, M107, M10 & M12)
Try and hopefully see a few missed Spring Galaxies.(M85, M98, M99, M61)

It's that time of year again when the night sky fails to get really dark and the window of opportunity for finding and seeing certain faint objects is narrow or difficult to say the least. Despite this, it's still surprising just what can be seen. Especially with no moon ?

Of course the planets still appear bright enough, so I started with Jupiter and was pleasantly surprised to see the GRS almost jump out at you! I could also see lots bands. 'Seeing' appeared to be quite good.

So I moved on to Mars. Wow! 
Again the darker areas were easily contrasted against the reddish colour of the rest of Mars. I worked with the 20mm nag (127x), 16mm Uwan (158x), and 12mm Delos (211x) and tonight was the best I have ever seen Mars through a telescope. I have never seen details like this before...

This is a high point for me! ?
Sadly, after feasting on this amazing view for around ten minutes the red planet dodged behind a neighbours roof! 

But 'hey Ho', Saturn had now popped out from behind a neighbours tree! ?
Using the fine focuser, the Cassini division sprung into good definition, along with several moons ? I even managed to use my 10mm Delos (at 254x)!
What really amazed me, was the colour of Saturn and the subtle banding! I could not believe my eyes! ?

After a feast of planets I went onto a few Messiers, starting near Saturn, some Globs, M80, M107, M10 & M12. They looked surprisingly good for low objects. ? (M4? A house was in the way!)

I looked at some galaxies next, M85, M49 and M63 the sunflower Galaxy. (I tried for M98, M99 & M61 but try as I might I could not see them!)

Then, cos I love to see how well I can see them one night to another etc, I finished up on M81 & M82. M82 was a good view showing quite a bit of structure!

Ok it's 01.00am, I have to be up at 6.00am to go fishing ?, but all in all I was very pleased with the viewing despite the twilight background... ?

Memorable stuff.

Thanks for reading.

Nice report Steve.

I myself had a session on Saturday night, and was treated to a planetary feast.

Good to hear you're getting some nice views with the 10 Delos :)

• Like 1

Nice report Stephen - reminds me I really must have a trawl around the planets soon. :)

• Like 1

Lovely report Steve. You had a great time under some really good skies. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Nice report, I too have been after the summer globs around that area of the sky, but the ones I`m after are mag 7, which itself is not that faint (i can easily see M3 and M13 which are around mag 6) but for the life of me I just cannot see the globs im after, i think its a combination of light skies and lack of aperture.

• Like 1

You had a good night there Steve, it's true, it's amazing what you can see even though it's not proper dark. I think you have proved that having a go returns results.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Bino-viewer said:

Nice report Steve.

I myself had a session on Saturday night, and was treated to a planetary feast.

Good to hear you're getting some nice views with the 10 Delos :)

Glad you had a good session Phil, and I am well pleased with the Delos :D

21 hours ago, Daz Type-R said:

Nice report, I too have been after the summer globs around that area of the sky, but the ones I`m after are mag 7, which itself is not that faint (i can easily see M3 and M13 which are around mag 6) but for the life of me I just cannot see the globs im after, i think its a combination of light skies and lack of aperture.

Which Globs are you after Darren? I have thought about doing a Glob night! There's a dozen or more lurking up there at the moment... M3, M4, M5, M10, M12, M13, M53, M56, M80, M92 and M107 ( though M107 is very very faint!) to name some... :)

Thanks to everyone for your kind comments! ?

M4, M19, M62, M80, M107, for me from home they are just too faint, I can do M3, every night, M13, every night, M107, not a chance, that extra 1 mag is making all the difference.

29 minutes ago, Daz Type-R said:

M4, M19, M62, M80, M107, for me from home they are just too faint, I can do M3, every night, M13, every night, M107, not a chance, that extra 1 mag is making all the difference.

Lol... M4 was leading me a dance last night! I wanted to see it after leaving it too late on Sunday night. Yes it's low, but my problem is a very tall neighbours tree and almost immediately to the right of the tree is his house! M4 was entering the left hand side of the tree as I slewed to it. I was too late, but I tracked it through the tree, hoping to glimpse it through gaps in the leaves, no chance! it got away, and later, I was busy looking at Saturn to see it in the gap... but I will get next time!

As for M107,  I saw it the other night, but remember writing a note next to it saying 'Very, Very Faint!!!' M107 is a tough one!

also like I said earlier, the sky is too bright, the window is short and  the moon is on its way! So opportunities are in short supply!

Let me know when you finally manage to bag them Darren! :)

cheers!

I've not seen M107, so will have to have a go for it.

Its listed at Mag +8 (as a difficult binocular object, but much easier is a small telescope)

It should be easy in an 8" Dob. M4 even easier at Mag 5.6

I'm assuming its low southerly location is the real spoiler here and its lost in the atmospheric murk ?

Those globulars really are extremely difficult with any aperture from the UK, because they are so close to the horizon, down in the murk at their highest point (and therefore don't stay up for long), as well as having low surface and actual brightness. Having checked out the numbers below, I'm surprised that Steve got M80 and 107 in his 10". :respect: It was obviously one superb night. :thumbsup:

The lowest southern horizon would be at -37 declination at 53 degrees North, but that is assuming we are at sea. Inland, the lowest part of the horizon is liable to be nearer to -34 declination.

I found it interesting to compare the data on the objects you mentioned.

Object/Mag/Surface brightness/dec/Ht. above horizon

Very difficult
M4 / 5.9 / 12.7 / -26 / 9
M19 / 7.5 / 13.3 / -26 / 9
M62 / 7.4 / 13.0 / -30 / 4
M80 / 7.9 / 12.6 / -23 / 11
M107 / 8.9 / 14.2 / -13 / 21

Easy
M3 / 6.2 / 12.2 / +28 / 62
M13 / 5.8 / 11.4 / +36 / 70

• Like 1

Yup, that's why I have been struggling for the last 3 nights, those figures back up why I'm struggling.

• Like 1

I reckon that if the brilliant M13 was at just 10 degrees above the horizon, you'd be hard pushed to see it in any of our scopes, with the average UK light pollution.

30 minutes ago, Bino-viewer said:

I've not seen M107, so will have to have a go for it.

Its listed at Mag +8 (as a difficult binocular object, but much easier is a small telescope)

It should be easy in an 8" Dob. M4 even easier at Mag 5.6

I'm assuming its low southerly location is the real spoiler here and its lost in the atmospheric murk ?

Hi Rob, Sunday night was the first time i had ever seen M107. It was quite low (but several degrees above Saturn) and the sky was not really dark and after seeing M10 and M12 which were quite bright and lovely, comparably M107 appeared very faint. This was just my observation on the night.

i will have another go...

cheers

57 minutes ago, Tweedledee said:

Those globulars really are extremely difficult with any aperture from the UK, because they are so close to the horizon, down in the murk at their highest point (and therefore don't stay up for long), as well as having low surface and actual brightness. Having checked out the numbers below, I'm surprised that Steve got M80 and 107 in his 10". :respect: It was obviously one superb night. :thumbsup:

The lowest southern horizon would be at -37 declination at 53 degrees North, but that is assuming we are at sea. Inland, the lowest part of the horizon is liable to be nearer to -34 declination.

I found it interesting to compare the data on the objects you mentioned.

Object/Mag/Surface brightness/dec/Ht. above horizon

Very difficult
M4 / 5.9 / 12.7 / -26 / 9
M19 / 7.5 / 13.3 / -26 / 9
M62 / 7.4 / 13.0 / -30 / 4
M80 / 7.9 / 12.6 / -23 / 11
M107 / 8.9 / 14.2 / -13 / 21

Easy
M3 / 6.2 / 12.2 / +28 / 62
M13 / 5.8 / 11.4 / +36 / 70

Good info Pete ?

No wonder M107 was faint!

i am always pleasantly surprised whenever I see anything! :)

But I am lucky enough to i have a fairly clear view south, the scope is good, goto and very solidly mounted in a relatively darkened dome. This all adds up to enable me to see stuff I only ever dreamt of ?

Very lucky :thumbsup:

And you are a little bit more distant from the Mansfield light dome than me, and have it conveniently out of the way towards your north western view.

• Like 1