• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

A couple from Lincolnshire

philjay

Went on a semi working holiday to Lincoln last week, (seems like months ago now). Took a few snaps with the Df here's a couple or 3 for your delectation

HighaltarHDR.jpg

High altar, Lincoln Cathedral

StHughsChoirHDR.jpg

St Hughs Choir Lincoln Cathedral

Lost%20in%20music2.jpg

Lost in Music

• Like 2

You seem to have captured not only a nice photo but also some of the atmosphere in the cathedral. :thumbsup:

Nice place Lincoln.

I will give you £1 if you take it away - and its lights:angry:

• Like 2

I would have thought Sleaford would be more of a problem for you. At least Lincoln is a fair way off on your northern horizon.

15 hours ago, Tweedledee said:

I would have thought Sleaford would be more of a problem for you. At least Lincoln is a fair way off on your northern horizon.

Not for the Aurora shows. I can see Lincoln cathedral / Castle clearly on any night the lights (massic sodium things) point up at the church and castle. Sleaford is a minor problem compared to Lincoln light wise.

Lovely photos.  I have altocelerophobia.  No, not fear of high pitched celery, but very high ceilings so I find cathedrals very difficult.  While I would like to see it inside (ive been outside)I would find the VAB challenging...

3 hours ago, DeanWatson said:

Lovely photos.  I have altocelerophobia.  No, not fear of high pitched celery, but very high ceilings so I find cathedrals very difficult.  While I would like to see it inside (ive been outside)I would find the VAB challenging...

That's a new one on me. I had to Google it, as I thought you were having a laugh, sorry. :blush:

At what sort of height do ceilings become a problem for you?

11 hours ago, stash said:

Not for the Aurora shows. I can see Lincoln cathedral / Castle clearly on any night the lights (massic sodium things) point up at the church and castle. Sleaford is a minor problem compared to Lincoln light wise.

Ah, I see what you mean.

I remember being at a dark site in rural Nottinghamshire and aligning my finders on an illuminated spire on one of the cathedral towers about 15 to 20 miles away.

Edited by Tweedledee

Ceiling height depends - I'm otherwise a paragon of rationality (!).  Sometimes a shopping centres ceiling can be too high.  I'm not too keen on ones with big open spaces - its a bit like agoraphobia yet not.

1 hour ago, DeanWatson said:

Ceiling height depends - I'm otherwise a paragon of rationality (!).  Sometimes a shopping centres ceiling can be too high.  I'm not too keen on ones with big open spaces - its a bit like agoraphobia yet not.

Well, if you can still enjoy the wonderful high ceiling of the night sky, then that is great. :)

It is a phobia that had never occurred to me before. Having my grounding in the construction industry and previously having done courses in structural stresses, calculations and safety margins etc. I remember queuing up for a large roller coaster ride somewhere and studying all the corroding nuts and bolts in the structure. I didn't like what I saw and changed my mind and left the queue. Not been on one since.

Absolutely, skies don't bother me.  But high ceilings over me or standing next to very tall buildings makes me very uncomfortable.  I stood next to the world trade centre when it was up and had to keep a grip on one of the small potted trees at the bottom as I looked up them, it makes me feel more grounded- don't ask me!

As a kid I suffered a bit from vertigo, would go wonky when high up, quite bad at times.

I then got a job in the power industry and it went after a few sessions of walking out the boilerhouse lifts on the 300plus foot levels with just a bit of walkway grating between me and the ground.

I remember taking some visitors round once and one big hulk of a bloke wouldn't come out of the lift on the 150 foot level even though I asked them before if anyone had problems.

Never come across this though Dean. Steer clear of power station turbine halls as well, ceilings are usually 100 to 150 foot above you

They sound simply hideous.  May people have the fear of floating up.  I have the (slightly more rational) fear of it all collapsing on me.  Feels like a weight pushing down.

4 hours ago, DeanWatson said:

They sound simply hideous.  May people have the fear of floating up.  I have the (slightly more rational) fear of it all collapsing on me.  Feels like a weight pushing down.

It is very weird how the brain can change ones perception of things. I've previously worked in some massive buildings including power station turbine halls. The only thing that phased me, was at Ratcliffe on Soar power station. Outside was a high level thick cable coming from the turbine house that was loudly rattling away with a totally unearthly sound like something out of Dr. Who. My senses were telling me this was something alien shaking the whole of my body and mind which really unnerved me. That noise was a weird experience I felt I should get away from.

I asked what the noise was and was told it was corona discharge ionising the atmosphere surrounding the cable that had 12 million volts running through it! :o 

Apparently this happens more or less with high tension cables dependant upon the atmospheric conditions, humidity etc. 

4 hours ago, Tweedledee said:

It is very weird how the brain can change ones perception of things. I've previously worked in some massive buildings including power station turbine halls. The only thing that phased me, was at Ratcliffe on Soar power station. Outside was a high level thick cable coming from the turbine house that was loudly rattling away with a totally unearthly sound like something out of Dr. Who. My senses were telling me this was something alien shaking the whole of my body and mind which really unnerved me. That noise was a weird experience I felt I should get away from.

I asked what the noise was and was told it was corona discharge ionising the atmosphere surrounding the cable that had 12 million volts running through it! :o 

Apparently this happens more or less with high tension cables dependant upon the atmospheric conditions, humidity etc. 

This made me lol Pete ☺️

You are quite correct in yor facts, but your post reminded me of many experiences I had working around high voltages, mostly 11,000 volts, but sometimes in the hundreds of thousands of volts. It's a noise that makes electricians sweat! And we sparky's are renowned for not sweating ?

If you get close up to this sort of voltage you realise you are staring at certain death, electricians learn to respect this sort of hazard and are trained to work safely around it but makes still you 'sweat' a healthy type of sweat.

I guess bomb disposal people get the same kind of sweat too! ?

St Elmos fire is a type of Corona discharge amongst sails on tall masted ships (static electricity), but high voltage loss due to corona discharge is scary.

Incidentally it is corona discharge that prevents us from going too high a voltage on transmission lines, the electrical losses would be too great. ( and way too scary! ?⚡️?).

Brings it all back!

Edited by Smithysteve

I must object to any suggestion of removing Lincoln Cathedral but would agree that the lights could be turned off. They used to be a problem at the Lincoln AS observatory but we don't see the cathderal glow any more because it is drowned by hideous security lighting from businesses closer to our site. Hope you have all signed the light pollution petition.LASatNight.jpg

On the topic of high ceilings; seems ironic that an astronomer should have such problems as there is no higher than the celestial sphere.

I like the pictures Phil.