• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Planetarium for local observatory...

Smithysteve

Hi all, my local observatory society, MSAS (Mansfield and Sutton Astronomical Society) recently acquired some neighbouring land and now we are actively planning on building some new facilities that will include a permanently sited planetarium.

Our goal at MSAS is to expand facilities including the construction of a fully functional planetarium by 2019, for the purpose of general interest and scientific outreach in all aspects of astronomy’  (quoted by Chris Hook, Society Chairman, on behalf of MSAS Committee)

I have volunteered to carry out some research into what the need actually is for a planetarium and what we could offer with our own - i.e. where is our niche? What systems are there available for what cost and for how many people i.e. a 5 m dome could seat ... 12 people, an 8 metre dome etc.....?

I am carrying out some research on the web, but If anyone on our forum has any experience, recommendations or comments on the matter of planetariums, or can provide any helpful links, then please post or pm me. Your help would be appreciated.

Thanks for looking... ?

Your best bet is to have a chat with Steve ( Ibbo )

Its what he does ;)