• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Hi fellow astrobods.

silentrunning

Hi there

I find myself here mainly after chatting with Graham from Astrotec and becoming fascinated by his current project of constructing an 18" mirror, truss and mount. Absolutely amazing project.

I did meet a few EMA members last year at Kelling when Graham was kind enough to let me share his pitch and some members shared there views of the cosmos through various bits of kit. What a great night that was.

Anyway I'm John from Polegate in East Sussex and my main interest has been astrophotography although I recently bought a pair of monster binos - two 12" telescopes with a common focus - so I hope to return to visual observing in a big way at least whilst the cameras are doing there thing.

Some of you may know me as silentrunning from astronomyshed.

Clear skies and maybe I'll catch up with some of you again at Kelling.

John Hawkes

Hi John, welcome to EMS.

There will be a large contingent of us at Kelling autumn this year (as usual), you know where we are so drop by and say hi.

Would love to see your 'bino's, bet the views through them are nice?

In the meantime, I hope you enjoy the forum.

All the best,

Daz.

Hi John welcome to EMS ?

Glad to have you aboard this friendly ship!

I hope the monster Binos lure you back to to the visual side, they sound awesome! Like to see a future post on them along with a few pics!

i hope you enjoy the forum... :)

Thanks Guys,

You may recognise the Binos, they were built by the Bolton Trio who I believe make a regular appearance at Kelling. They made just one pair of 12"'s but continue to knock out 8" versions. They are absolutely stunning to look through, I caught a crescent moon the other night and it was the best I've ever seen it. The mountains of Sinus Iridium along the terminator and deep into the 'dark' side looked amazing.

Here's a link to the bods website about the bino's...

http://www.deep-sky.co.uk/telescopemaking/tm18.htm

John

Hi John and welcome

The Bolton crew were on the blue field just at the back of us last year. I had a look at but not through their binos similar to yours. Fascinating piece of kit

Hi John, a warm welcome to EMS.

I remember you at Kelling, I'll be there again this year as well. :)

So you have one of Bolton creations, they are amazing, truly a work of art.

Welcome to EMS John.

What a brilliant binocular telescope you have. It must give some awesome views. :thumbsup:

Beautiful bit of engineering there John.

I agree, there is no comparison to using both eyes for this hobby.

Welcome to EMS, and clear skys to you.

John, I see from the light pollution map that you are on the better end of Eastbournes light dome. Do you get any stray light problems from your open tube design, or do you only use it at very dark sky sites? It would be a shame to cover all that beautiful shiny metalwork with a light shroud.

Thanks everyone, especially to those I met at Kelling - It's all your fault, sharing the view through your scopes rekindled the visual side of things for me!!

Pete, the scope came with some tubing that keeps out stray light and help reduces dewing up issues. LP is not to bad where I am but I do have access to a dark site if necessary. Here's a photo....

get.jpg

Hi John

About time you got yourself on here. :P

That is an awesome looking pair of binos you have got yourself there mate. :2thumbsup:

43 minutes ago, silentrunning said:

Thanks everyone, especially to those I met at Kelling - It's all your fault, sharing the view through your scopes rekindled the visual side of things for me!!

Pete, the scope came with some tubing that keeps out stray light and help reduces dewing up issues. LP is not to bad where I am but I do have access to a dark site if necessary. Here's a photo....

get.jpg

Brilliant - the builders obviously thought of everything, and those tubes don't detract from the superb looks. :thumbsup:

Did you buy the fridge to match the scope or vice versa? :D

Edited by Tweedledee

The Bolton lads are top chaps, very friendly and great company. Bloody good engineers to boot as well.

Hi John, welcome aboard. That's a mighty fine scope you have there.

I had a look at the Bolton lots wares at Kelling. 

• 3 weeks later...

I found this forum by accident and, like you, do not live in the East Midlands. I don't have a big budget but like to think I make the best of what little I have.