• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

First light with some monster Binoculars

silentrunning

That was a thoroughly enjoyable read John. You are going to have many exciting hours viewing with those, and they are going to pull in just above every DSO, with the light grasp of a 17". :thumbsup:

Thanks for the read John, they are a thing of utter beauty. There won't be much you can't find with those, I'll bet your eyepiece budget going to get a thrashing.

You will be popular at Kelling this year! :)

I've been really impressed with the pair of Meade 3000 40mm's that came with it. I have purchased a pair of Baader Hyperion 21mm and i'm looking to get the fine tuning rings, I was hoping to keep the cost down by doing this by I may have done better to just by pairs of Meade 4000s as I didn't realise they were so reasonably priced.

I know some of you guys are eyepiece experts so I wondered what you think of the Hyperions. Be honest I can still return them!

Thanks

The Hyperions are excellent eyepieces and they are great value for money. I have to be honest, I had tuning rings and never used them. If you are using 1.25", have a look at the BST Explorer or star guiders as they are now known, they are also very good value.

Many thanks Baz

I've posted a general request for advice...

Nice post John, I really enjoyed your report on the big bins! ?

It was quite a leap to decide from getting 'something or other' to have a quick look through, whilst twiddling your fingers between frames, to taking on these 'twin tower' Binos!

i can only imagine the huge number Wow factors you have waiting in store for you! 

Good on you for taking a huge plunge with these beautiful Binos, I look forward to hearing more reports on what you get to see and would love to see them one day... :)

Thanks Stephen, hopefully I'll get them to Kelling later in the year.

I loved reading your report John.

What an amazing bit of kit.

I posted a thread last year about this chap setting up his own 16" Binoscope.

Have a chuckle at this......

• Like 3

With a fantastic all singing and dancing scope like that, I'd invest in some nice smooth tarmac to wheel it across. Thought it was going to tip over and crash when he first wheeled it out. You can see why he needs that hernia belt. :o

That's a great video Rob, I remember you posting it, but it's a fascinating watch! ?

He looks so content setting that monster up, one happy bunny! 

I wonder how he got his bad back? Maybe he should have a motorised trolley, or a fork lift truck! ?

Have all these monster Binos got you salivating Rob? ?

I'd certainly like to spend an evening with them Steve.

But owning them ?........from a practicality point of view maybe not.

I think his makeshift weight lifting belt tells its own story.

I'm also surprised he needs a Paracor corrector in what looks like an F5 type system. 

He must be a perfectionist.

I'm more into the idea of owning (in a few years or so) a large aperture Dobsonian in the 16" - 20" range,

and simply using the binoviewers i already have. 

Edited by Bino-viewer

1 hour ago, Bino-viewer said:

I'd certainly like to spend an evening with them Steve.

But owning them ?........from a practicality point of view maybe not.

I think his makeshift weight lifting belt tells its own story.

I'm also surprised he needs a Paracor corrector in what looks like an F5 type system. 

He must be a perfectionist.

I'm more into the idea of owning (in a few years or so) a large aperture Dobsonian in the 16" - 20" range,

and simply using the binoviewers i already have. 

If you live at a dark sky site, then that system is great, but stripping and transporting it anywhere would be a major operation.

Thanks for posting the Vid, loved it. 

The binos I've got come apart quite easily. The top half pair of tubes is light but the bottom pair with the mount is just about on the limit for my knackered back. The two mirrors come in a single wooden box which I shouldn't really lift I my own, at the moment they live in doors and I carry them out to the garden one by one.

I should definitely get a hernia belt like his!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

... and most people think my 15x70s are big! I'd certainly like to look through them but I couldn't handle a pair of binoculars that big.

I like to browse the night sky while taking 30 second or longer exposures. I think many of us are busy imaging.