• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Juno

Big Al

Looking forward to more amazing imagery.

They say the main camera may not survive the duration on the mission,

due to the high radiation levels.

I've read the Juno probe will be exposed to radiation levels during its mission, equivalent to that of 100 million dental x-rays. Yikes.....

I was interested in what types of radiation Jupiter is able to unleash on the local neighbourhood. It seems to be a pretty terrifying place, so I'll skip it for next years jollies. Have a read through this, it makes  for an interesting read.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetosphere_of_Jupiter

And I'l stick this in the right thread as well.

https://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/juno/main/index.html

Wow, what a complex system. Never imagined there was that much to it and the interactions with Io.

I also intend to keep my distance from it now.

Good post Martyn, thanks. :thumbsup:

Anyone seen any new close up images from juno yet or know when and if we will get some?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

The only ones I have seen are some from the orbit insertion phase, which showed the planet and three of the moons wanging round, but I haven't seen any others yet.

From what I can see of the mission, it's more oriented to experiments which probe the planets atmosphere, make up and magnetic fields. There will be shots, but I don't think they will be anything like the quality of Cassini's. I would like to be proven wrong though. 

• Like 1

Thanks Baz. I wasn't sure about any imaging but hope there will be some. Either way can't wait to hear more about any data received.

I just hope it doesn't get fried, it's making some real close approaches, not forgetting the final dive into the planet, that should bring back some amazing data.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, BAZ said:

...not forgetting the final dive into the planet, that should bring back some amazing data.

Ever read Arthur C Clarkes "A Meeting with Medusa"?

Alan

Just seen the first Juno image come in today.  Well, come on,  I mean, its rubbish isn't it.  We can do better from our own back gardens for a fraction of the cost.  Or as I say 'Lingua In Maxillam'.

Inclined to agree but it looks like this is just a test image to show the camera survived. Also currently in a highly elliptical orbit that they intend to tighten when the main research mission begins.

I hope they will get much better images especially from 5000km above the surface of Jupiter... if the camera is able to operate that close due to intense radiation/magnetic field of course... which I doubt in some ways?! Also, I am not sure if there is that much focus on image data if that is not the main priority of the mission.

Closeup images would be great though so I am hoping... it would be a shame if not.

Juno probe returns first in-orbit Jupiter photo - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-36780756

Considering the whole craft is running on less power than it takes to boil a kettle, I am surprised they put any picture taking cameras on it at all.

Should bring in some fantastic scientific data though, looking forward to the next few months.

Also, if I remember correctly, the general public could choose what features Juno cam took pictures off, rather than leaving it up to NASA to decide.

• Like 1

It is a bit weird to see Jupiter in a phase like that.

Don't quite get that from the back garden. :)

• Like 1

Considering the whole craft is running on less power than it takes to boil a kettle, I am surprised they put any picture taking cameras on it at all.

Should bring in some fantastic scientific data though, looking forward to the next few months.

Also, if I remember correctly, the general public could choose what features Juno cam took pictures off, rather than leaving it up to NASA to decide.

Finally got around to watching the latest S@n and your spot on about the imaging Daz. Pete and Maggi talked about it... and looking at the image of Earth taken as Juno left I think if the camera copes with the harsh environment we should get some fantastic views. [emoji4] [emoji106]

Gave up on SAN a while back.  Can't stand MAP.  Her voice makes me want to eat my own hair.  And while we're at it, why is Brian Cox always staring misty eyed at the sky like he hasn't seen it before?

Actually, I think the presentation on S&N has been improving slightly. I wasn't previously too impressed by Maggie or Chris' style, but I think they have both become a bit more engaging, especially Chris.

New series starting soon - "Wonders of Brian Cox". I don't think he has spent much time under a clear night sky. :)