• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Going Star Crazy?

Smithysteve

I must be doing too much astronomy at the moment ? my brain is interpreting every day things as Astro stuff! ??✨

My missus spilled sugar on the breakfast table this morning and I thought the crystals looked like an open cluster of stars, with varying magnitudes of brightness! ?

When I hear a news item about motorways e.g. M1, I'm thinking Crab Neb!... Etc.

If a tv program or film shows a starry night background to the scene I am trying to work out constellations or determine if the scene is realistic... They generally are not! ?

I could go on, but you get my drift!

Anyone else suffering with star craziness? ?

• Like 2

You're not the only one Steve. :thumbsup:

What Trumpler class would you estimate the sugar cluster to be, and did it contain a planetary nebula by any chance? :)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tweedledee said:

You're not the only one Steve. :thumbsup:

What Trumpler class would you estimate the sugar cluster to be, and did it contain a planetary nebula by any chance? :)

Looked a bit, 11, 2, m, ish. It smacked of NGC 7790 & NGC 7788, til the missus wiped it up destroying the whole star cloud! ?

I didn't mention anything to my better half of course! ??

15 minutes ago, Smithysteve said:

Looked a bit, 11, 2, m, ish. It smacked of NGC 7790 & NGC 7788, til the missus wiped it up destroying the whole star cloud! ?

I didn't mention anything to my better half of course! ??

I get the picture exactly, as I know the very clusters you are talking about. The in between number 7789 Carolines cluster is the nicest I reckon. :)

• Like 1

Yes Caroline's Rose, it's coming around... Cassiopeia area will look good in a month... ?

I would love a superweapon to wipe out a star cluster.  I'm on a slight Stephen Baxter kick at the moment to get tips, you know chucking supermassive blackholes around, messing with the universal constants, that kind of thing.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DeanWatson said:

I would love a superweapon to wipe out a star cluster.  I'm on a slight Stephen Baxter kick at the moment to get tips, you know chucking supermassive blackholes around, messing with the universal constants, that kind of thing.

I tried tweaking a universal constant once, and my collimation was out for weeks. :o

My backs the same...  never been collimated quite right.  Tried using a laser collimator.  Couldn't sit down for a week.

6 hours ago, DeanWatson said:

My backs the same...  never been collimated quite right.  Tried using a laser collimator.  Couldn't sit down for a week.

By not being able to sit down would suggest to me you had not removed the collimator from its test position :rofl:

On Saturday, July 09, 2016 at 18:44, Doc said:

Caroline's Cluster looks really good in a big dob, simply stunning.

I bet it is.

Apart from seeing it regularly in binoculars, I had a magnificent view of it from Belper a while back in my old 10" F4 Schmidt Newt.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm very guilty of your last two.

My (non-astronomer) wife and daughter hate it when I say that it is not the real night sky.

Another one I do is if I see the Moon on a soap, I know that the episode was filmed some time ago. Notice also that nobody discusses elections or other current events on them!

I once noticed the Hyades and Pleiades on a STEPS video.