• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Hello from Gainsborough

Guest Andrew-77

Guest Andrew-77

Ahoy-hoy!

I'm new to astronomy and have been lurking here and at SGL for a wee while now. Bought my SW 200p a couple of months ago as a present to myself. Bought the dual axis drives for the EQ5 and am about to order a couple of Baader EPs and a Barlow as the standard SW ones are pretty awful. Think that should be enough to get me properly started.

Looking forward to getting involved.

Andy

Hi Andy and welcome to EMS, good starter scope you have there, you will not be dissapointed.

Guest Andrew-77

Thanks guys.

Given that this is not a cheap hobby, I figured I'd buy something I could grow into, rather than out of. I've done nothing with it yet, hopped around the planets a bit and twiddled around the moon. I've spent more time on dark sky maps and Google Earth so far, looking for somewhere to go.

If you haven't seen it all ready, can I suggest you take a look at a program called Stellarium, just search for it on Google, cracking bit of free software to get you started (once you have found a sutible place). :)

Guest Andrew-77

Got that, it's an awesome piece of software considering it's free. I'm dying to take it to a site I may have found; it's a concrete square at the edge of a farmers field (about 10m on a side), just off a side road in the middle of nowhere There's even a fence I can hide from the road behind.

Hopefully nobody else uses it for anything. O_o

Hi Andy, a warm welcome to EMS.

That's a great scope and will keep you busy for a while. The Hyperions will really bring out the best of it.

Enjoy the forum.

Hello Andy, another Lincs member great stuff, I tell ya the yellowbellies are taking over. Lol

Guest Andrew-77

Ticked off M13 and M92 earlier! Thrilled to have actually found something that isn't Mars.

The other half didn't show the enthusiasm I'd hoped for. I'll shake her a bit harder next time, and maybe pull the covers off.

Know what u mean, when I showed my mrs jupiter she said Mmmmm ok ! So I haven't botherd again lol.