• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Baader Neutral Density Moon filter - Cleaning??

Guest MoonMan

Guest MoonMan

Hi guys, 

Im after some guidance in cleaning a new lunar lens ive just purchased. Straight away smudged finger marks...... :(

Very reluctant to try a micro fiber cloth or general glasses lens cleaner as I know this lens is coated. Anyone used Baader own cleaning products on lens, filters?

Recent Purchase - https://www.firstlightoptics.com/moon-neutral-density-filters/baader-neutral-density-moon-filters.html

Cleaner -  https://www.firstlightoptics.com/astronomy-optics-cleaning-protection/baader-optical-wonder-fluid.html

Any help will be appreciated. 

Edited by MoonMan

The Wonder fluid will do the trick just fine. Spray it on the cloth and use that rather than spraying it on the filter. If there are multiple elements to a filter or eyepiece, fluid can get between them and ruin it.

I have used this on eyepieces and filters and it should get rid of the finger print.

• 3 weeks later...

Baader wonder if great stuff.

It shifted a little kids paw prints off my 24 Panoptics.

Looked as good as new.

I sprayed the fluid directly on the eye lens.

Probably shouldn't have, but they are fine anyway.

The excess evaporated off in no time.